Full Form of IIT
IIT stands for Indian Institutes of Technology. IIT is especially governed by the Institute of Technology Act, 1961 that has been declared as the National Importance Institute and also lays down the powers, framework, and duties for governance. Every IIT is very autonomous that is linked with others through this IIT council for oversees administration. The education minister is an Ex Office Chairperson of this IIT council. In the year 2021, for undergraduate programmed, 16,234 seats have been occupied for IIT. There are sixteen IITs present in India.
Organizational Structure of IIT
In IIT, the Indian president has considered the most powerful being in this organizational structure that it has awesome residual powers. Under the president, the council of IIT comprises the Minister in charge of the technical education system and it is under the Union Government. All decisions in this aspect are being granted by directors and chairman of IITs. Along with that University Chairman also grants the commissions. The Director and Chairman of IISC and the director of CSIR are considered as most valuable members of the Parliament. These three appointees and the Joint Council Secretary of the Ministry of Education are under this Union Government.
Each IIT has a different Board of Governors which is under the IIT Council. The chief executive and academic officer who is the director is under the Board of Government. After that, under this director, the deputy director comes to this organizational structure. The Deans come under this Deputy Director and Director who is HOD – Head of the Department. Along with that, Registrar is considered as president of the Students Council and Chairman of the entire committee of Hall Management.
Vision and Goals of IIT
The main vision and goal of IIT are to contribute to the world and India through excellence in technical,scientific research and education. Along with that, IIT focus on serving valuable resources for society and industry and remains the main resource of education and pride among all Indians. The goal of IIT is to generate efficient and new innovative knowledge in this modern age. With the help of technical education, advanced research design helps to grow academic structure and offers a lot of opportunities for doctorate, postgraduate and undergraduate programs.
IIT helps to identify a based perception according to the Indian government which also requires basic and global needs with specialization areas and in those areas the institutions of IIT can be concrete. It also helps to focus on some collaborative projects creating lots of opportunities in the academic industry.
Successful Programs by IIT
Many successful programs or enterprises have been started up by the IIT graduates which creates a major native and inspirational approach in every aspect.
- ET Bureau which is mostly known as Excel that is used almost in every field where engineers are working hard to make it easier with learning exercises and help students with effective teaching support.
- ThinkLABS is another invention that is using robotics technology for making the learning process of science easier. It helps those students who are lacking in terms of understanding the concept of science fiction.
- Mobikwik is another example of IIT engineers who have provided major efficiency in terms of doing payments and many other operations like recharge, ticket booking, shopping, etc.
- Canvera is a most innovative creation which offers e-commerce related solutions to photographers. This is an online photographic site for customizing prints and this is effective for professionals.
Bachelor of Technology B. Tech is a common undergraduate degree for those IIT enrolment students. This B. Tech course is a 4-year program where students are divided into different departments. In this degree, the departments are Physics, Chemistry, Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer, etc. These are known as the most common department of IIT courses. The students must have these compulsory courses for their department and compulsory courses helped them to complete their subjective course.
In the postgraduate program, different criteria are available which are Postgraduate Diplomas and Master Degrees, Bachelor Masters Dual Degrees and Doctoral. This IIT offers the maximum offer to postgraduates programs like Masters of Business Administration – MBA, Masters of Technology MTech, Master of Science MSc. Along with that, IIT offers an unconventional MTech and BTech integrated and educational program, for Dual-Degree. This integrates some postgraduate and undergraduate studies which are used for specialization. The Doctoral degree is also being offered by IIT and that is the Doctoral Educational Program
Interesting Facts about IIT
- The IIT Act was passed by the Parliament in 1961.
- IITs receive approximately 100-200 million grants from the Indian government each year.
- The first batch in IIT consisted only boys. These were among the top ten rankers in their respective universities.
- It was in 1981 that a woman metallurgist graduated from IIT. It was the same year IIT Bombay admitted a girl for Mechanical Engineering course for the first time.
- IIT Bombay was established with help from UNESCO and the former Soviet Union.
- The staff quarter in IIT Kharagpur was called Bomb House as the British used to store bombs at that place during World War.
IIT has faced much criticism outside and within academia. There are major allegations are also encourage the brain drain where the examinations, coaching have been hampered. Along with that, the colleagues also put some pressure on making the student understand about all subjects which are now improving day by day.