UPSC CSE 2018 PRELIMS GS Part - 1 Q1 to Q10 Indian Administrative Services BY: AAKRITI
1. With reference to the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), consider the following statements: 1. IRNSS has three satellites in geostationary and four satellites in geosynchronous orbits. 2. IRNSS covers entire India and about 5500 sq. km beyond its borders. 3. India will have its own satellite navigation system with full global coverage by the middle of 2019. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 1 and 2 only (c) 2 and 3 only (d) None
Answer. a Explanation:The IRNSS is being developed parallel to the GAGAN (GPS Aided GEO Augmented Satellite Navigation) program, the ISRO SBAS (Satellite Based Augmentation System) version of an overlay system for GNSS signal corrections. The IRNSS system consists of a constellation of seven satellites and a supporting ground segment. Three of the satellites in the constellation will be placed ina geostationary orbit and the remaining four in a geosynchronous inclined orbit of 299 relative to the equatorial plane. . Such an arrangement would mean all seven satellites would have continuous radio visibility with Indian control stations. It will cover the entire country and an area extending about 1,500 sq. knm beyond its border, with a position accuracy better than 20m in all weather conditions.
2. Consider the following phenomena: 1. Light is affected by gravity. 2. The Universe is constantly expanding. 3. Matter warps its surrounding space-time. Which of the above is/are the prediction/predictions of Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, often discussed in media? (a) 1 and 2 only (b) 3 only (c) 1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3
. Answer. d
3. With reference to the Genetically Modified mustard (GM mustard) developed in India, consider the following statements: 1. GM mustard has the genes of a soil bacterium that give the plant the property of pest-resistance to a wide variety of pests. 2. GM mustard has the genes that allow the plant cross- pollination and hybridization. 3. GM mustard has been developed jointly by the IARI and Punjab Agricultural University. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a)1 and 3 only (b)2 only (c)2 and 3 only (d)1, 2 and 3
Answer. b Explanation: GM mustard has been developed by a team of scientists at Delhi University's Centre for Genetic Manipulation of Crop Plants led by former vice- chancellor Deepak Pental under a government-funded project.
4. Consider the following pairs: Terms sometimes seen in news Context /Topic 1. Belle Il experiment Artificial Intelligence 2. Blockchain technology - Digital/ Cryptocurrency 3. CRISPR - C Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched? (a) 1 and 3 only (b) 2 only (c) 2 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3 as9P Particle Physics
Answer. b Explanation: The blockchain is an undeniably ingenious invention which created the backbone of a new type of internet originally devised for the digital currency, Bitcoin, (Buy Bitcoin) the tech community is now finding other potential uses for the technology
5. Which of the following statements best describes "carbon fertilization"? (a) Increased plant growth due to increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (b) Increased temperature of Earth due to increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (c) Increased acidity of oceans as a result of increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (d) Adaptation of all living beings on Earth to the climate change brought about hr the increased concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
6. When the alarm of your smartphone rings in the morning, you wake up and tap it to stop the alarm which causes your geyser to be switched on automatically. The smart mirror in your bathroom shows the day's weather and also indicates the level of water in your overhead tank. After you take some groceries from your refrigerator for making breakfast, it recognises the shortage of stock in it and places an order for the supply of fresh grocery items. When you step out of your house and lock the door, all lights, fans, geysers and AC machines get switched off automatically. On your way to office, your car warns you about traffic congestion ahead and suggests an alternative route, and if you are late for a meeting, it sends a- message to your office accordingly. In the context of emerging communicationtechnologies, which one of the following term" best applies to the above scenario? (a) Border Gateway Protocol (b) Internet of Things (c) Internet Protocol (d) Virtual Private Network
8. The staple commodities of export by the English East India Company from Bengal in the middle of the 18th century were (a) Raw cotton, oil-seeds and opium (b) Sugar, salt, zinc and lead (c) Copper, silver, gold, spices and tea (d) Cotton, silk, saltpetre and opium
9. Which one of the following is a very significant aspect of the Champaran Satyagraha? (a) Active all-India participation of lawyers, students and women in the National Movement (b) Active involvement of Dalit and Tribal communities of India in the National Movement (c) Joining of peasant unrest to India's National Movement (d) Drastic decrease in the cultivation of plantation crops and commercial crops
. Answer.c . Explanation: The Champaran peasant movement was launched in 1917-18. . Its objective was to create awakening among the peasants against the European planters. These planters resorted to illegal and inhuman methods of indigo cultivation at a cost which by no canons of justice could be called an adequate remuneration for the labour done by the peasants.
10. Who among the following were the founders of the "Hind Mazdoor Sabha" established in 1948? (a) B. Krishna Pillai, E.M.S. Namboodiripad and K.C. George (b) Jayaprakash Narayan, Deen Day al Upadhyay and M.N. Roy (c) C.P. Ramaswamy lyer, K. Kamaraj and Veeresalingam Pantulu (d) Ashok Mehta, T.S. Ramanujam and G.G. Mehta
Graduate in Biology Completed M.Sc. in Zoology Power is gained by sharing knowledge not hoarding it.