UPSC CSE 2018 PRELIMS GS Part - 2 Q11 to Q20 Indian Administrative Services BY: AAKRITI
11. With reference to the religious practices in India, the Sthanakvasi" sect belongs to (a) Buddhism (b) Jainism (c) Vaishnavism (d) Shaivism
Answer.b Explanation : Sthanakvasi is a sect of svetambara Jainism founded by a merchant named Lavaji in 1653 AD. It believes that idol worship is not essential in the path of soul purification and attainment of Nirvana/Moksha. The sect is essentially a reformation of the one founded on teachings of Lonka, a fifteenth-century Jain reformer. th nakav sins accept thirty-two of the Jain Agamas, the Sv t mbara canon. Sv t mbarins who are not Sth nakav sins are mostly part of the Murtipujaka sect.
12. With reference to the cultural history of India, consider the following statements: 1. White marble was used in making Buland Darwaza and Khankah at Fatehpur Sikri. 2. Red sandstone and marble were used in making llara Imambara and Rumi Darwaza at Lucknow Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
13. Which one of the following foreign travellers elaborately discussed about diamonds and diamond mines of India? (a) Francois Bernier (b) Jean-Baptiste Tavernier (c) Jean de Thevenot (d) Abbe Barthelemy Carre
14. With reference to Indian history, who among the following is a future Buddha, yet to come to save the world? (a) Avalokiteshvara (b) Lokesvara (c) Maitreya (d) Padmapani
15. Which one of the following statements does not apply to the system of Subsidiary Alliance introduced by Lord Wellesley? (a) To maintain a large standing army at other's expense (b) To keep India safe from Napoleonic danger (c) To secure a fixed income for the Company (d) To establish British paramountcy over the Indian States
16. Consider the following statements: 1. In the first Lok Sabha, the single largest party in the opposition was the Swatantra Party. 2. In the Lok Sabha, a "Leader of the Opposition" was recognised for the first time in 1969. 3. In the Lok Sabha, if a party does not have aminimum of 75 members, its leader cannot be recognised as the Leader of the Opposition. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 and 3 only (b) 2 only (c) 2 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3
18. As per the NSSO 70th Round "Situation Assessment Survey of Agricultural Households", consider the following statements: 1. Rajasthan has the highest percentage share of agricultural households among its rural households. 2. Out of the total agricultural households in the country, a little over 60 percent belong to OBCs. 3. In Kerala, a little over 60 percent of agricultural households reported to have received maximum income from sources other than agricultural activities. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? 1.2 and 3 only 2.2 only 3.1 and 3 only 4.1, 2 and 3
. Among the major States, Rajasthan had highest percentage of agricultural households (78.4 percent) among its rural households followed by Uttar Pradesh (74.8 percent) and Madhya Pradesh (70.8 percent). Kerala had the least percentage share of agricultural households (27.3 percent) in its rural households preceded by other southern States like Tamil Nadu (34.7 percent) and Andhra Pradesh (41.5 percent) kther agricutura activities) was reported to be the principal source of income for majority of the households in all the major States, except Kerala have earned maximum income from sources other than agricultural activities. About 45 percent out of the total agricultural households in the country belonged to Other Backward Classes (OBC). About 16 percent of agricultural households were from Scheduled Castes (SC) and 13 percent were from Scheduled Tribes (ST)
19. How is the National Green Tribunal (NGT)different from the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) 1. The NGT has been established by an Act whereas the CPCB has been created by an executive order of the Government. 2. The NGT provides environmental justice and helps reduce the burden of litigation in the higher courts whereas the CPCB promotes cleanliness of streams and wells, and aims to improve the quality of air in the country. Which of the statements given above is/are correct (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
. Answer.b Explanation: Any action/decision by government of India is an executive order. It does not need the approval of the parliament.Unlike an ordinance, promulgated by the president, executive orders are issued by the government. The National Green Tribunal has been established on 18.10.2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010 for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources including enforcement of any legal right relating to environment and giving relief and compensation for damages to persons and property and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
Graduate in Biology Completed M.Sc. in Zoology Power is gained by sharing knowledge not hoarding it.