UPSC CSE 2018 PRELIMS GS Part 3 Q21 to Q25 ian Administrative ServicesBY: AAKRIT
21. Which one of the following best describes the term "Merchant Discount Rate" sometimes seen in news? (a) The incentive given by a bank to a merchant for accepting payments through debit cards pertaining to that bank. (b) The amount paid back by banks to their customers when they use debit cards for financial transactions for purchasing goods or services. (c) The charge to a merchant by a bank for accepting payments from his customers through the bank's debit cards. (d) The incentive given by the Government, to merchants for promoting digital payments by their customers through Point of Sale (PoS) machines and debit cards.
Answer.c 2017: The Union Cabinet has decided that Government will borne Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) charges on transactions up to Rs. 2,000 made through debit cards, BHIM UPI or Aadhaar-enabled payment systems (AePS) to promote digital transactions. It will be for two years with effect from 1 January, 2018 by reimbursing the same to the banks
22. What is/are the consequence/consequences of a country becoming the member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group'? 1. It will have access to the latest and most efficient nuclear technologies. 2. It automatically becomes a member of "The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT)" Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
Answer.a . Explanation The Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) is a multilateral export control regime and a group of nuclear supplier countries that seek to prevent nuclear proliferation by controlling the export of materials, equipment and technologv that can be used to manufacture nuclear weapons. The only grouping India is now left out of is the Nuclear Suppliers Group . In June 2017, India became a member of the 35-member Missile Technology Control Regime and by December last, New Delhi had also gained the membership of the Wassenaar Arrangement that has 42 members.India on 19 Jan 2018 joined the 42-member Australia Group, an elite export control regime against spread of chemical and biological weapons . The Nuclear Suppliers Group or NSG has 48 member countries that control trade in sophisticated civil nuclear technology. China was among the countries that objected to India's admission to the bloc, ratcheting up tension between the two countries.The group goes by consensus approach on the admission of new members.
Membership of the NSG means: 1. Access to technology for a range of uses from medicine to building nuclear power plants for India from the NSG which is essentially a traders' cartel. India has its own indigenously developed technology but to get its hands on state of the art technology that countries within the NSG possess, it has to become part of the group. 2. With India committed to reducing dependence on fossil fuels and ensuring that 40% of its energy is sourced from renewable and clean sources, there is a pressing need to scale up nuclear power production. This can only happen if India gains access to the NSG. Even if India today can buy power plants from the global market thanks to the one time NSG waiver in 2008, there are still many types of technologies India can be denied as it is outside the NSG.
3. India could sign the nuclear non-proliferation treaty and gain access to all this know-how, but that would mean giving up its entire nuclear arsenal. Given that it is situated in an unstable and unpredictable neighbourhood India is unlikely to sign the NPT or accede to the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) that puts curbs on any further nuclear tests 4. With access to latest technology, India can commercialize the production of nuclear power equipment. This in turn will boost innovation and high tech manufacturing in India and can be leveraged for economic and strategic benefits.
23. With reference to India's decision to levy an equalization tax of 6% on online advertisement services offered by non- resident entities, which of the following statements is/are correct? 1. It is introduced as a part of the Income Tax Act. 2. Non-resident entities that offer advertisement services in India can claim a tax credit in their home country under the "Double Taxation Avoidance Agreements". Select the correct answer using the code given below: (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
24. Consider the following statements 1. The Fiscal Responsibility and BudgetManagement( FRBM) Review Committee Report has recommended a debt to GDP rati of 60% for the general (combined) government by, 2023, comprising 40% for the Central Government and 20% for the State Governments 2. The Central Government has domestic liabilities of 21% of GDP as compared to that of war of GDP of the State 2 Governments. 3. As per the Constitution of India, it is mandatory for a State to take the Central Government's consent for raising any loan if the former owes any outstanding liabilities to the latter. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 only (c) 1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3
Graduate in Biology Completed M.Sc. in Zoology Power is gained by sharing knowledge not hoarding it.