UPSC CSE 2018 PRELIMS GS Part - 10 Q56 to Q60 Indian Administrative Services BY: AAKRITI
56. Why is a plant called Prosopis juliflora often mentioned in news? (a) lts extract is widely used in cosmetics. (b) It tends to reduce the biodiversity in the area in which it grows. (c) Its extract is used in the synthesis of pesticides. (d) None of the above
. Answer.b Explanation:Prosopis juliflora is a shrub or small tree in the family Fabaceae. It is native to Mexico, South America and the Caribbean. It is a contributing factor to continuing transmission of malaria, especially during dry periods when sugar sources from native plants are largely unavailable to mosquitoes.This is not only a big threat to the country's biodiversity but also has become a burden on the environment. This tree is scattered in around 12 states of the country. It has destroyed about 500 species of native plants.lf it has not been eliminated on time, it will destroy the remaining bio-diversity of the country. Its roots are too much deep which absorbs lot water also. It was brought to India in 1870.lts uses include forage, wood and environmental management.
57. Consider the following statements: 1. Most of the world's coral reefs are in tropical waters. 2. More than one-third of the world's coral reefs are located in the territories ofAustralia, Indonesia and Philippines. 3. Coral reefs host far more number of animal phyla thain those hosted by tropical rainforests. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 and 2 only (b) 3 only (c) 1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3
. Answer.d Explanation: Coral reefs are highly diverse ecosystems vital to the welfare of human populations throughout the tropical area. . The immediate threat to coral reefs from climate change is acute; 16% of the world's reef suffered serious damages during the global bleaching event of 1998.
58. "Momentum for Change : Climate Neutral Now" is an initiative launched by (a) The Intergovernmentai Panel on Climate Change (b) The UNEP Secretariat (c) The UNFCCC Secretariat (d) The World Meteorological Organisation
Answer.c Explanation:The UNFCCC secretariat launched its Climate Neutral Now initiative in 2015. The following year, the secretariat launched a new pillar under its Momentum for Change initiative focused on Climate Neutral Now, as part of larger efforts to showcase successful climate action around the world Climate neutrality is a three step process, which requires individuals, companies and governments to:Measure their climate footprint;Reduce their emissions as much as possible;Offset what they cannot reduce with UN certified emission reductions,
59. With reference to educational institutes during colonial rule in India, consider the following pairs Institution Founder 1. Sanskrit College at Benaras - 2. Calcutta Madarsa - William Jones Warren Hastings Arthur Wellesley 3. Fort William College Which of the pairs given above is/are correct? (a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 only (c) 1 and 3 (d) 3 only
. Answer.b Explanation: In 1781, Warren Hastings founded the Madarasa Aliya or Calcutta Madarasa.Government Sanskrit College was the first college in Benaras. Established in 1791, it was a landmark college in India from where several notable teachers emerged In 1958 it merged with Sampurnanand Sanskrit University.Fort William College (also called the College of Fort William) was an academy and learning centre of Oriental studies established by Lord Wellesley(Richard Colley Wellesley, 1st Marquess Wellesley), then Governor-General of British India. The law to establish its foundation was passed on 4 May 1800, to commemorate the first anniversary of the victory over Tipu Sultan at Seringapatam
60. Consider the following pairs: Regions sometimes mentioned in news Country 1. Catalonia 2. Crimea 3. Mindanao - 4. Oromia Which of the pairs given above are correctly matched? (a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 3 and 4 only (c) 1 and 3 only (d) 2 and 4 only Spain Hungary Philippines Nigeria
Graduate in Biology Completed M.Sc. in Zoology Power is gained by sharing knowledge not hoarding it.