GATE 2023 – The GATE 2023 registration process started on August 30, 2022. Candidates who want to apply for the GATE 2023 exam can now fill out the application form. The GATE 2023 application form link is activated now. The GATE 2023 eligibility criteria are mentioned in the information brochure. In the information brochure, the candidates can get all the details related to the exam, such as exam pattern, selection process, syllabus, etc. The GATE 2023 exam will be conducted on February 4, 5, 11, and 12, 2023 for 29 branches across the country. Every year, GATE 2023 exam is conducted by any one of the IITs or IISc Bangalore. GATE exam has 2 new papers such as Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture & Geomatics Engineering.
Table of Contents
- GATE 2023 Exam Overview
- GATE 2023 Exam Dates
- GATE 2023 Papers
- GATE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
- Program-wise GATE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
- GATE Exam 2023 Registration(GOAPS)
- GATE 2023 Application Fees
- GATE 2023 Exam Pattern
- GATE 2023 Admit Card
- GATE 2023 Exam Centre
- GATE 2023 Result
- GATE 2023 Scorecard
- GATE 2023 Preparation Tips
- GATE 2023 Cutoff
- GATE 2023 Counselling
GATE 2023 Exam Overview
|GATE 2023 Exam Conducting Authority||IIT Kanpur|
|GATE 2023 application form availability||from August 30, 2022, to September 30, 2022 (without any late fee)|
|Can undergraduates apply?||Yes, 3rd-year candidates can also apply for the GATE exam|
|Number of attempts||Unlimited|
|Can you write 2 papers?||Yes, Candidates can choose more than 1 paper code for appearing in GATE|
|Age criteria||No, there are no age limit criteria in GATE.|
|Frequency of exam||GATE is held only once in the month of February every year|
GATE 2023 Exam Dates
|Notification release date||July 27, 2022|
|GATE 2023 application form availability||August 30, 2022|
|Last date to fill the application form||September 30, 2022|
|GATE 2023 Application Form Last Date (with late fee)||October 7, 2022|
|Application form correction for GATE 2023||November 4, 2022, to November 11, 2022,|
|GATE 2023 Admit Card Release Date||January 3, 2023|
|GATE 2023 Exam Date||February 4, 5, 11 and 12, 2023|
|Availability of response sheet||February 15, 2023|
|Answer key release date||February 21, 2023|
|Availability for answer key challenge window||February 22, 2023 to February 25, 2023|
|Result Release Date for GATE 2023||March 16, 2023|
|GATE 2023 Scorecard Release Date||March 21, 2023|
GATE 2023 Papers
|GATE Paper||GATE Paper Code||GATE Paper||GATE Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture Engineering||AR||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Biomedical Engineering||BM||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering||NM|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Physics||PH|
|Chemistry||CY||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Statistics||ST|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Environmental Science and Engineering||ES||Engineering Sciences||XE|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Humanities and Social Science||XH|
|Geomatics Engineering||GE||Life Science||XL|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
GATE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria has released along with the GATE 2023 information brochure. The candidates can meanwhile check here the basic GATE eligibility criteria from the sections.
|Particulars||GATE 2023 Eligibility Criteria|
|Required degree||Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Arts/ Commerce or Post Graduation in a relevant discipline|
|Age criteria||No upper age limit|
|Nationality||Indian or Foreign/ NRIs|
Educational Qualification –
- If you are appearing for the GATE 2023 exam, the candidates need to possess at least the following eligibility criteria. Although, the educational qualification has been relaxed for the GATE 2023. Candidates who have completed the degree program approved by any government in Technology, Architecture, Engineering, Commerce, Science or Arts are eligible to appear and also the undergraduates or those who are in the 3rd/4th year of graduation are eligible to apply for the GATE 2023.
- Also, as per the revised GATE 2023 criteria, the candidates must have a minimum qualification of 10+2+3.
Passing Percentage –
No minimum passing marks are required for the GATE 2023 exam.
The candidate should have Indian citizenship to appear for the GATE 2023. Those who are from Bangladesh, Nepal, Singapore, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and UAE are also eligible for the GATE 2023.
Eligibility Criteria for International Candidates
The candidates from Bangladesh, Nepal, Singapore, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and UAE must have completed their graduation or are in the final year of graduation.
Program-wise GATE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
If the candidates are pursuing their higher degree education or has already completed their degree, they will be eligible to sit for the GATE 2023 examination. Also, the candidates with the degree of BA, BSc or BCom wants to seek admission in the masters one in IITs then they may refer to the JAM 2023 examination only.
|Degree||Qualifying Examination or Degree||Expected year of completion|
|B.Sc. / B.A. / B.Com.||2023|
|Int. M.E. / M.Tech||Any Year|
|Int. M.Sc. / Int. B.S. / M.S.||2025|
|BSc (Agriculture, Forestry, Horticulture)||4 years program||2024|
Examinations (equivalent to B.E. / B.Tech. / B.Arch.)
GATE Exam 2023 Registration(GOAPS)
The GATE registration process has started now. The candidates who want to appear for the exam must register themselves in the GOAPS portal. The GATE 2023 registration process started on August 30, 2022. Also, the candidates need to make sure that they can make payments only through online mode via the GOAPS portal or through the official website.
How do we fill GATE 2023 application form?
- Open the official website for the GOAPS portal and make registration
- Once you register yourself then open the GATE login window.
- Now, fill in all the required fields for the GATE application form.
- Upload the required documents such as signatures and photographs.
- Now, make the payment for the GATE application form fee.
- Submit the application form once you review it.
Documents required for the candidate
- Residential proof
- Communication address with area PIN code.
- Scanned certificate of degree with the given size format.
- Scanned image of thumb impression
- Scanned image of the photograph in the given format
- Scanned copy of category certificate
- ID proofs such as Passport, PAN number, Voter ID card, DL, College ID, and Employee id proof.
- Bank details for paying the GATE application fee
Photograph and Signature Specifications
For the GATE 2023 application form, the candidates need to upload the photograph and signature carefully through the electronic medium. Let’s check the below-provided specifications for photographs and signature requirements –
For Photographs –
- Make sure your face matches with the pasted photograph
- It should be the passport size photograph whose specifications are (3.5 cm Width × 4.5 cm Height)
- It should be recent and both of the ears must be visible.
- Face in the photograph must not be covered with any objectionable objects such as caps, sunglasses, colored glasses, hats, etc.
- There should be no one in your background of the picture.
- If the candidate is weareing the specs then the glare of the glasses is not acceptable
For Signature –
- The signature of the candidates must be in dark blue or black ink only
- The size of the file must be withing 5kb to 200kb.
- The signature by someone else will not be acceptable.
- To avoid signature with dark background and also not capture the photo with phone
- JPG or JPEG format will be accepted
- The maximum image size is 160×560 pixels while the minimum size is 80×280 pixels
- If your signature doesnt match at the time of the examinatio while signing over the hall ticket, you could be disqualified.
GATE 2023 Application Fees
|Category||Regular application fee duration||Extended duration for fee payment|
|Female||INR 850/-||INR 1350/-|
|ST/SC/Pwd||INR 850/-||INR 1350/-|
|All other canddiates||INR 1700/-||INR 2200/-|
|Centre Details||Fees during regular period||Fees during the extended period|
|Centres in India||INR 1700/-||INR 2200/-|
|Kathmandu and Dhaka||100 USD||150 USD|
|Singapore and Dubai||200 USD||250 USD|
|Examination Centre||Fee payment during regular time||Fee payment during extended time|
|Dhaka and Kathmandu||100 USD||150 USD|
|Singapore and Dubai||200 USD||250 USD|
- The application fee mentioned above will not include any service charges, any processing fees and other charges.
- For 2 papers the fee amount is twice of a single paper.
- GATE 2023 application fee is not refundable nor transferable.
- These payments will bve done with the help of online medium only such as debit card, net banking, credit card, UPI or wallets.
- The additional online transaction fee or bank charges may be applicable for the same.
GATE 2023 Exam Pattern
|Exam duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Subjects/Papers||29|
|Paper Sections||General Aptitude Chosen Subject|
|Total questions||65 questions total
|Distribution of marks for all papers except CY, AR, XH, EY, GG, PH, MA, XL||
- General aptitude of 15 marks and subject questions will be asked of 85 marks.
- For MCQs of 1 mark – 1/3rd marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer
- For MCQs of 2 marks – 2/3rd marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer
- There will be no negative marking in MSQ and NAT-based questions.
GATE 2023 Admit Card
The GATE 2023 admit card will be available to download from January 3, 2023. The candidates will get the admit card availability information prior to the release of it through the official website announcement. GATE 2023 will be organized by IIT Kanpur. It will issue the GATE 2023 hall ticket on the official website. To download the GATE 2023 admit card, the candidates will have to use their enrollment ID and password. Make sure you carry the hall ticket to the GATE 2023 exam centre. Without bringing the admit card, the candidates will not be able to enter the exam hall.
Steps to download the GATE 2023 admit card
- Open the official website of GATE 2023
- Enter your enrollment number and password
- Click on the login page
- Now, click on the GATE admit card 2022 download link
- The hall ticket will be available to download.
- Download the PDF file and save it for future reference.
GATE 2023 Exam Centre
Here the candidates can check the tentative-zone-wise examination cities for the GATE 2023 exam. Here we have mentioned the tentative list of the cities where GATE 2023 is planned to be held. One candidate can choose 3 exam cities from the list of the GATE 2023 exam centres. Make sure all the three choices must be from the same zone. Due the operational constraints. The GATE exam conducting authority has a right to add or remove the exam cities and allot any city that you may not selected before.
Zone-1 (IISc Bangalore)
|Andhra Pradesh||Ananthapuramu, Kurnool|
|Karnataka||Bagalkot, Ballari (Bellary), Belagavi (Belgaum), Bengaluru North, Bengaluru South, Bidar, Chikkamagaluru, Davanagere, Hassan, Hubballi (Hubli), Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Kolar, Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Shivamogga (Shimoga), Tumakuru|
|Kerala||Kannur, Kozhikode, Malappuram, Palakkad, Thrissur|
|Andaman and Nicobar||Portblair|
Zone-2 (IIT Bombay)
|Gujarat||Ahmedabad, Anand, Bhavnagar, Gandhinagar, Mehsana, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara|
Ahmednagar, Akola, Amravati, Aurangabad,
Baramati, Dhule, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Latur, Mumbai, Navi Mumbai-Thane, Nagpur, Nanded, Panvel-Raigad, Pune, Ratnagiri, Sangamner-Loni-Shirdi, Sangli, Satara, Solapur, Vasai-Palghar
Zone-3 (IIT Delhi)
|Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar, Jammu-Samba|
|Madhya Pradesh||Ujjain, Indore|
|New Delhi||New Delhi|
Ajmer, Bikaner, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Sikar,
|Uttar Pradesh||Mathura, Greater Noida|
Zone-4 (IIT Guwahati)
|Assam||Silchar, Tezpur, Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Jorhat|
|Bihar||Muzaffarpur, Patna, Purnea|
|West Bengal||Asansol-Durgapu, Burdwa, Kalyan, Siliguri|
Zone-5 (IIT Kanpur)
|Madhya Pradesh||Gwalior, Bhopal|
Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Gorakhpur,
Jabalpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Satna, Varanasi
Zone-6 (IIT Kharagpur)
Eluru, Kakinada, Rajamahendravaram
(Rajahmundry), Srikakulam, Tadepalligudem, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram
|Chhattisgarh||Raipur, Bilaspur, Bhilai|
|Jharkhand||Ranchi, Hazaribagh Jamshedpur|
Balasore, Berhampur, Bhubaneswar, Cuttack,
Zone – 7 (IIT Madras)
Chirala, Chittoor, Gudur, Guntur, Nellore,
|Kerala||Alappuzha, Aluva-Ernakulam, Kollam, Kottayam, Thiruvananthapuram|
Chennai South, Chennai West, Coimbatore,
Cuddalore, Dindigul, Kanyakumari-Nagercoil, Madurai, Namakkal, Salem, Thanjavur, Thoothukudi, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Vellore, Virudhunagar
Karimnagar, Khammam, Kodad, Nizamabad,
Zone-8 (IIT Roorkee)
|Punjab||Amritsar, Bathinda, Jalandhar, Mohali-Chandigarh, Patiala|
Ghaziabad, Meerut, Moradabad,
|Uttarakhand||Dehradun, Haldwani, Roorkee|
GATE 2023 Result
Once the GATE 2023 examination is concluded, the result will be declared on the official website. The result will be released by IIT Kanpur for GATE 2023 exam. GATE 2023 scorecard will be released after 3-4 days of the declaration of the result. The candidates who appeared in the exam can check their GATE 2023 results by logging into the result portal. The result will be released on March 16, 2023. The candidates who qualify for the exam will be able to check their GATE 2023 scorecard which will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
How to check the GATE 2023 results?
- The candidates should open the official website.
- Now, search for the GATE 2023 result page.
- GOAPS portal will appear on the screen, where you have to fill in the required details.
- Now, click on the submit button
- The GATE 2023 scorecard will appear on the screen.
GATE 2023 Scorecard
Once IIT Kanpur declares the result, the GATE 2023 scorecard will be available to download for the candidates. It can be downloaded without paying any charges from March 21st to May 31st, 2023. The candidates can download it from the official website only. We advise the candidates to keep it safe for all the future uses. In case, if the GATE qualified candidates need the softcopy of their GATE 2023 scorecard after May 31, 2023, then they can get by paying the INR 500/- application fees per paper for getting it. No scorecard will be issues after January 1st, 2024 onwards. Also, the exam conducting authority will not issue any hard copy of GATE scorecard.
GATE 2023 Preparation Tips
GATE 2023 exam is considered the most difficult exam to crack. In order to qualify for the GATE 2023 and get admission to the prestigious IITs or NITs or get recruited in the PSUs, the candidates will be required to be well prepared. To score best in the exam, the candidates need to make solid planning, competent guidance, excellent executive and self-confidence. Here, we have enlisted a few points for the candidates who are preparing for GATE 2023 –
Start Early – The candidates need to plan their studies and collect the best study material beforehand to prepare well for the GATE 2023 exam.
Clarity on Syllabus and Exam Pattern – The preparation strategy should be highly dependent on the GATE 2023 syllabus and its pattern. So it’s important for the candidates to understand the syllabus thoroughly.
Get familiar with the previous year’s trends – It is important for the candidates to understand the last year’s trends because it will help them to understand the topic distribution for the GATE question paper. It will also help you to determine the weightage of the topics. With the help of this, the candidates will be able to find their stronger and weaker areas.
Create a study plan – If you are familiar with the exam pattern and weightage of the topics then now is the time to create a proper plan. While creating the plan, the candidates should follow the given points –
- Set goals for yourself on the basis of daily, weekly and monthly.
- Divide the syllabus into easy, moderate and difficult.
- Organize the syllabus in a way that it won’t get repeated.
- Make sure you placed a sufficient number of practice tests and also analyse them.
- Keep a track of your growth chart.
- Give more time to the weaker sections while giving more time for revision to your best subjects.
- In your timetable, make sure you put enough time for breaks as well
Practice General Aptitude – The weightage of this section is 15 marks so prepare yourself well to improve a good score. You can choose a newspaper and various books to practise for it. You can choose the questions from the other competitive exams as well.
Revision and Mock test practice – Make sure you give proper time for the GATE 2023 revision. This revision will help you to comprehend the topics or concepts better and improve your knowledge. You can also make short notes while revision, so that the candidates may also use them before going to the exam. Solve previous 10 years’ papers as well to improve your preparation level.
GATE 2023 Cutoff
The candidates need to score the minimum required marks to clear the cut-off. Along with the GATE 2023 result, the qualifying GATE cut-off will also be released by the exam conducting authority. To get admission, the candidates need to score at least minimum qualifying marks for the GATE 2023 exam. Also, the GATE admission cut-off will be determined by the different institutes on the basis of the scores and courses offered by them.
GATE 2023 Qualifying cut-off vs Admission cut-off
The candidates who are participating in the GATE 2023 counselling must understand the difference between the GATE qualifying cut-off and the GATE admission cut-off. The qualifying cut-off is the minimum mark needed by the candidates to qualify for the GATE 2023 exam while the admission cut-off is the minimum required mark to get admission to the desired institutes. The GATE cut-off varies as per the category wise and also different for 29 branches. The GATE qualifying cut-off is released along with the result only while the different institutes are responsible to release the admission cut-off separately.
GATE 2023 Counselling
The GATE 2023 counselling will be conducted by the COAP. This counselling will be done for the MTech courses offered by the various IITs and CCMT for offering admission to the MTech courses. The eligible candidates need to take part in the GATE 2023 counselling as per the released dates. The process includes the stages such as registration, choice filling and locking, seat allotment, document verification, etc. Once the candidates, go through these stages successfully, they will get admission to the institute.
10,997+ courses for GATE & ESE