Following UPSC and CAT, GATE is one of the toughest exams and is widely chosen by young graduates in our country. GATE, Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, primarily focuses on testing an overall understanding of the engineering subjects for admission in postgraduate programs and public sector jobs.
Tips to Crack the GATE Exam Without Coaching
Cracking this exam without coaching is challenging but achievable; the main steps to break this exam without proper coaching are as follows:
Get an Overview
It is an online exam conducted only once yearly, around the first-second week of February. The dates for 2023 are out on the official website. It is held jointly by the India Institute of Sciences and IITs under the Ministry of Education. It consists of a single paper with 65 problems, adding up to 100 marks a candidate must solve in 3 hours.
A package of multiple-choice questions and Numerical questions can be seen. The first section consists of 10 aptitudes, reasoning and language questions. Rest 55 questions revolve around core engineering concepts.
This exam is famous for its innovative approach to testing each candidate. Getting a hold of the entire engineering syllabus for a 3-hour examination is not a cakewalk.
Also see: GATE 2023
Gather Your Tools
Get a comprehensive idea of the current syllabus and get familiar with it. A smart way is to get limited and appropriate books that cover the entire syllabus. Rather than reading multiple books, get a hold of the same books multiple times. You can gather these resources online or offline but stick to one.
Not just this, try to solve as many previous year question papers as possible. Try to get an idea of repeated patterns and topics. This small step will accelerate your preparation two to three times.
Mock tests are yet another effective way to increase your chances. There are easy-to-access test series available for free or at nominal charges. These mock tests are beneficial in identifying your strengths and weaknesses. Try to figure them out and work on both of these points.
See more: GATE Syllabus 2023
Watch our video to know How to crack the GATE exam without coaching
Plan Out Your Strategy
At this point, each of us knows the exact time left for the exam. We are done with what, when and where. Now, we must focus on how to crack the exam. Keeping in mind all our strengths and weaknesses, make a schedule and work each day uniformly. Keep a daily journal and note your progress.
Try to work on accuracy and then jump onto your problem-solving speed. Sharpen your skills each day. A detailed analysis will tell you the topics that hold more weight and try to build a schedule around those topics.
An appropriate advice would be to try to cover the entire syllabus at least once by the end of the year so that you can revise as much as possible in January.
Read more: GATE 2023 Registration
This is probably the most critical and challenging step. You might execute your plan flawlessly, but doing it continuously for weeks and months challenges you. The discipline to get going each morning is hard to achieve, but once you find it, you have done half the job.
Once you have completed a disciplined approach, try to grow each day; nothing can stop you. There will be days when you feel like giving up, but those are the days when you strike back with your full potential.
Try to make a small group of 3 – 4 friends and make a note of each other’s progress. Healthy competition can help you to achieve more. Also, problem-solving and aptitude skills are enhanced in a healthy group discussion.
Additional read: GATE MCQs
Tips to Ponder
- Make sure to adapt to a proper routine, including a healthy sleep routine of six to seven hours
- Do not linger around on various resources; try to stick to limited material and master it
- Suit yourself to long stretches of 3 hours, especially during the morning when the exam takes place
- Try to give as many mock tests as possible, and that too in online mode. Never underestimate the role of these mocks. Prepare and attempt these sincerely
- Working on your weaknesses is necessary but do not leave behind your strengths. Instead, try to sharpen them from time to time
- Most of the questions in the GATE exam are based on concepts, So stick to the conceptual manner only. Shortcuts might cost you a lot in the main exam
- Revision has to be categorised daily, weekly and monthly. This will help you to cover the syllabus intelligently
- Time management during the preparation and exam hours is very crucial. One must get a hold of it
- Try to make simple and concise notes. Do not just add important stuff; only add the data you mostly forget
- It would be ideal if you covered the entire syllabus by the beginning of January.
- Do not stay under pressure for too long during your preparation while attempting the exam
Dos & Don’ts for GATE Exam
- Stick to the concepts that will help you for a long time and effectively
- There is no limit to practising the number of questions; practice as many as possible
- Sincerely, attempt mock tests, and an overall analysis of your mistakes is even more critical
- Make sure to leave all topics intact; try to cover each case or at least hover over the minor ones
- Previous year question papers are a blessing. These are the best resources available out there
- Procrastination is a sweet poison, do not consume it. Never sleep upon anything. Manage to finish your chores on time
- Do not skip language practice. It might not take a lot of time and energy
- Don’t break the consistency; even if you get off the track, try to collect yourself as soon as possible
- Do not gather unnecessary material; stick to limited resources and master them
|How to Effectively Manage 3 hours in GATE Exam||How to get 60+ in GATE in One Month|
|How to Prepare for BARC||How to Prepare for GATE|
|How to Prepare for GATE CS & IT|
This blog discusses the major tools you should have while preparing to crack the GATE exam without coaching. Moreover, we threw some light on the tools and strategies you should make maximum productivity in your preparation. Eventually, we addressed pro tips along with Dos and Don’ts for GATE. However, one thing you should always remember is that with coaching or without coaching, hard work and consistency are the only fundamentals that will help you crack GATE.