The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, also known as the GATE exam, is one of the toughest exams in India. To clear the GATE, you must be aware of how much dedication and hard work you need to clear one of the most reputed exams in India. But, on the other hand, the GATE opens the way to a limitless number of career options after you clear it, and lakhs of students appear yearly with a dream of clearing this examination.
So if you are a GATE aspirant and want to clear the GATE examination, this article is essential. This article will tell you about the GATE exam pattern for CSE, the advantages of the GATE, and how one can score a good rank in one of the stringent exams in the country.
About GATE CSE 2024
|Mode of Exam||Online Computer Based Test|
|Examination Name||GATE CSE 2024|
|Time Duration||3 hrs|
|Type of Questions||
|Section||Candidate Selected Subject GA (General Aptitude)|
|Marking Scheme||Each question will be awarded one or two marks.|
|Total no. of Questions||65 questions total, 10 from the General Aptitude category|
Watch our video to know about GATE exam in detail
Eligibility Criteria For GATE Exam
The eligibility criteria for GATE exams include nationality, academic qualification, and more.
- The minimum academic qualification GATE accepts is 10+2+3. And students who are in the third year of their graduation or have already done their graduation are eligible to appear in the GATE exam
- Students can opt for two papers from the given combinations from 2021 onwards
- There are no age limit criteria for the students
- Aspirants from every field of education are eligible to appear in one of the reputed exams in India
- Indian nationality and students from SENA countries are eligible for the exam
- Students from the other countries not mentioned above, kindly check the official GATE website to know their eligibility criteria
See more: GATE 2024
GATE Exam Pattern for CSE 2024
Let’s take a look at the GATE exam pattern for CSE (Computer Science).
The computer science stream has three papers which consist of
- General aptitude- 10 questions which consist of a total mark of 15.
- Core computer science subjects- 45 questions which hold 72 marks.
- Engineering mathematics- 10 questions which consist of a total mark of 13.
The total time to complete the paper is 3 hours, and the examination mode is online. Therefore, the total mark for the paper is 100, and there is a negative marking as well.
Read more: GATE Syllabus 2024
GATE CSE Marking Scheme
- The exam carries 100 marks and consists of a total of 65 questions.
- The document is written in English
- MCQs: 1 Mark for a correct answer; 1/3 of a mark will be removed for each incorrect response
- MCQs: 2 Marks for each correct response; 1/3 of a point will be taken away for each incorrect response
- NAT – Questions of the Numerical Answer Type (NAT) do not need negative verification
- No points are deducted for incorrect answers in MSQ questions. However, there are no partial scores given for making a single incorrect option or half-right combinations of choices
Also check: GATE Question Bank
Tips to prepare for the GATE CSE Exam
Read and understand the complete syllabus:
The very first step to begin preparation is to know the complete syllabus and the exam pattern for GATE CSE. Then, refer to the latest syllabus of the exam and check the website to know the syllabus.
Mock test and solving previous years’ question papers:
After completing your syllabus, refer to last year’s questions. This would increase the aspirant’s confidence and help him understand the question paper’s difficulty level and tone. As the candidate gets used to the question papers, he will be able to give his exam with full enthusiasm and confidence.
Make a routine:
To achieve any kind of goal, one should make a separate routine to plan his preparation.
Choose the right books:
Select the correct author and the right set of books for computer science preparation.
Every day, 7-8 hours is mandatory for the aspirant to prepare for the GATE exam. Therefore, make a schedule in which one should have a separate time for proper revision and testing.
|How to Effectively Manage 3 hours in GATE Exam||How to get 60+ in GATE in One Month|
|How to Prepare for BARC||How to Prepare for GATE|
|How to Prepare for GATE CS & IT|
Important Instructions for Candidates: GATE CSE Exam Pattern 2024
- Try to be at the testing location one hour prior to the exam to be on the safe side
- Inside the testing facility, refrain from bringing any forbidden objects like a phone, notes, an electronic watch, etc. If one does accidentally bring them inside, be sure to quickly drop them off at the testing location. If such materials are discovered on a candidate’s person after the test has started, they will be immediately disqualified from sitting the GATE Exam
- After settling into your designated seat, make sure the computer is functioning properly. Immediately contact the administration if there is a systemic issue
- Verify that a person has taken up the seat assigned to them by checking the image of them that is shown on the designated system
- Before the test, be sure to read the relevant instructions to obtain a sense of the marking & pattern
- Do not forget to put your GATE registration number on the supplied scribbling paper
More than a million students appear for the GATE exam every year. Everyone has a dream, and they start their preparation with complete determination. Those who are consistent with their hard work get the opportunity to score an excellent All-India rank In the exam. So, start your preparation today and get yourself placed in your dream company. And what’s stopping you from clearing GATE? Start your preparations now!