It is essential to understand Chemical formulas to understand the different concepts covered in Chemistry. The branch of science that is associated with the properties, composition and structure of elements and compounds is known as Chemistry. A chemical formula displays the symbols of the elements in the compound. It also enables one to know about the ratio of the elements to one another. Different chemical elements and compounds are combined with each other to form a chemical equation. The equation can be of different types so to understand them one should know the concepts of the subject properly.
Chemical formulas can be both easy and complex. But it is essential to know the way to solve the reaction in order to understand the formulas. Students should learn the formulas to score better marks in Chemistry. To make it easy, we at Unacademy have provided a list of chemistry formulas which will help students in learning the names of the elements and the basic rules.
How to write chemical formulas?
To write a chemical formula, it is essential for students to know certain basic rules and names of the elements and compounds. If the student knows the name of the compound, then it will be easy to write the chemical formula.
- Students should write symbols for all the elements in the compound
- If the atoms of an element in the formula is more than one then one can write the number of atoms after the symbol for the element
Steps to write chemical reaction
- Start by searching for the symbol of the cation and anion
- Now find the charge of each symbol and place it above the symbols in the parenthesis
- Balance the total negative charge and positive charge on the anion and cation.
- Determine the number of units of cations and anions. Once it is done they are placed as subscripts right after the symbol
List of important chemical formulas to prepare for the examination.