The UPSC is believed to be India’s toughest exam, where thousands of students appear to fulfil their dream of becoming IAS officers. People of all age groups appear for this exam, making it one of the most challenging examinations of all time. As per the survey, every year, 10 lakh aspirants apply for the UPSC CSE examination, out of which around 1 lakh are working professionals. Today, in this article, we are going to talk about 10 important tips for developing Great Focus while Studying for the UPSC examination.
10 Tips to Develop a Great Focus while Studying UPSC CSE/IAS
- Focus on the exclusion of others – Before you dive into the preparation for the UPSC exam, let us tell you that focus is the only key to opening doors to success. If you’re aiming for ultimate success, there is no way you can achieve it if you’re not focused. For the time being, when you’re preparing for the IAS exam, close all doors. Be it your friends, your family, or your thoughts, focus on only the exam. Do not get distracted by what others are doing. Live and breathe your dream!
- Do not worry about years – UPSC aspirants think of the number of years they are spending in their preparation process and treat those years as a waste. Whereas, in the long run, these years do not even count. All you have to do is make the best use of the time you have in your hand because it will never come back.
- Ask why? – Do you think I wish I had a better life with friends or family? Or I may choose another career? Every time such questions pop up in your head, ask yourself why you started. Did you start this to get bored? Did you start this to stop in between? Did you start this to get tired? No, you started this with a big dream to become a civil servant.
- Time tested techniques – use several time testing techniques such as –
Auditory concentration improves focus 1000X – Take cotton and put it in your left ear. Hear everything from your right ear and make a note of every tiniest voice you’re hearing. Do it for 2-3 minutes. You will start using a larger percentage of your brain after this exercise.
- Yoga – simple stretching and light exercise will improve your mental functioning. There is an exercise where you hold your ears with crossed hands and do squats. Practise this at least 10-20 times a day. It improves blood circulation and increases mental functioning.
- Listen to music before studying – Do not mix study and music. Whereas, try to hear light music before studying or just after studying to relax your body and increase concentration. Try to not go into its lyrics. Go for instrumental music. Do not try to learn new music at this point.
- Time pressure – set your alarms by yourself. Do not let the outside world affect you. Plan your strategy yourself and stick to the deadlines. Try to complete topics within 40-50 minutes by giving yourself deadlines and putting yourself under extreme pressure.
- Avoid negative people – no matter what happens in your life, avoid all negative people and flush them out. Do not entertain negative people. Do not change your focus. Everything will come to you if you’re ready to practice hard this year. Do not get distracted by things like social media sites, Facebook, Instagram, and so on. Avoid any emotional trauma. Do not let your heart overpower your mind.
- Join support groups – sit with your parents and well-wishers in your free time. Talk with like-minded people who can add to your experience and knowledge. Some victories are only the result of good blessings. Do not miss any chance to miss those blessings.
With this, we come to the end of the topic 10 Tips to Develop a Great Focus / Concentration while Studying | UPSC CSE/IAS. If you have decided to sit for the “so called” toughest exam in India, the UPSC exam, congratulations! Buckle your belt tightly and get ready for the examination again. Being a civil servant will provide you with mental peace and financial independence. The UPSC examination syllabus is vast, so it is very necessary to limit your resources for the examination. The best way to limit the resources is to keep reading and solving the previous year’s questions.
One may easily sign up for the best online UPSC class for better preparation and make their preparation journey a lot smoother. As a result, take a deliberate method with a balanced mindset to succeed in a UPSC examination while keeping yourself focused on the ultimate goal. Now, when you have learned how to stay focused, it is time to bring this to action, rather than thinking of when and why it’s time to do it. Apart from these tips, a great strategy and taking up regular mocks can genuinely contribute to your success. Before sitting for the exam, make sure you’re well-prepared with all questions because all questions are essential if you’re to become the topper.
Pick the right books and courses because they can significantly change your journey to become a topper. Once you have the right mix of books, it can help. In addition, keep these hacks handy as they are indispensable.