Part-01 Telling Methods: Lecture Method, Discussion Method, Story Telling Method. By Himanshi Singh
1. Lecture method - This is an old and traditional method. (CHALK AND TALK METHOD) - In this method, teacher delivers lecture on different points of a topic without taking the help of notes and in order to concentrate the attention of his students, he asks questions several times in the middle. The lecture of the teacher is so logical, systematic and attractive that the whole lesson becomes clear to pupils in no time. -Examples are given during lecture to clarify difficult concepts. This is an easy and effective method to introduce a lesson and to complete a lesson in minimum period of time.
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. William Arthur Ward The influence of a good teacher can never be ERASED
Few extra points... - This method makes the students passive listeners. There is very little scope for pupil activity - It is against the principle of learning by doing. It does not take into consideration individual differences It does not develop power of reasoning of the students. It becomes monotonous to the students Though this method has much limitation but still it is the most used method.
2. Discussion Method - In this method, teacher discusses a matter with his pupils on one hand and students discusses the same themselves. It can be formal or informal. - Students try to dominate others through logical arguments. They criticize each other with their own logic. Development of leadership quality is the main objective of discussion method - It develops the ability of tolerance in the students. - Attitude and aptitude of students can also be measured through this method. - Teacher provides open-ended questions. - It develops students expression power.
3. Story tellina method - In this method, the teacher tells the students the stories depicting light on the lives of great men, scientists, social reformers, saints and rulers. The purpose of these stories is to motivate the students and to develop in them the same qualities which these great men had. These stories are directly or indirectly related to the lesson too. - Students concentration level is increased through these stories To develop the interest in students is another purpose of this method so, stories must be interesting also. - Story also increases the vocabulary and thinking power of students. it is believed by most historians and psychologists that storytelling is one of the many things that define and bind our humanity. Humans are perhaps the only animals that create and tell stories.
4. TUTORIAL METHOD In this method, the whole class is divided into different homogenous small sections on the basis of abilities... so that teacher can remove difficulties by giving them individual guidance - Besides, group teaching is also possible here being the tutorial group homogenous.
5. Home Assignment Method - In order to link the school with home and to drill and fix the acquired knowledge, home work is given to students. Home work may be of the following types: 1. Informational: In such type of home works students are asked to collect some information and bring it to the school as home work. 2. Problematic: Problem is given to students to solve it at home. - Cramming Type: Here students are asked to memorize some facts and information at home and produce the same orally in class the next day. - Study Type: In such type of works students are asked to drill some acquired knowledge at home.
A teacher keeps the following points into consideration while giving home assignments: - He should give them such a home work which can benefit them in their practical life. - He should give home assignment to his students after getting them fully motivated. He also ensures that students complete their home work themselves.
- In order to do a home work, teacher gives instruction to his students in a clear language so that students may not have to face any difficulty to do the work properly. - A teacher should give home assignment to his students keeping in view their respective interest so that they may feel bored - The home work given to students should be based on their class work. - A teacher should give only that amount of home work to his students which they can easily complete. Home assignment is not made a burden on them - Home work should be somewhat challenging to the students also.
A learner by nature, a teacher by profession, a YouTuber by passion! You can join the learning revolution on YouTube channel “Lets LEARN”