A number series is prevalent in most competitive exams such as SSC. It is a sequential order of numbers and letters. These are arranged in such order according to some specific rules. These particular rules are based on alphabetical order, mathematical operations, etc. In competitive exams, the series comes under the quantitative aptitude section of the test. It is informally speaking of numbers and the sum of terms of a sequence. In this series, particular numbers are kept in a specific order. Now let’s discuss the subject in brief.
What is a Number Series?
The arrangement of numbers in a specific order in which some numeral values are misplaced in the series and some go missing is known as number series. The candidates giving the competitive exams have to analyse and find the accurate numbers for the series. One needs to find the missing number in the series. The series is solved by an individual’s particular formula, tricks, and attitude. There can be multiple serial numbers in a series, such as contagious numbers, whole numbers, and natural numbers.
Types of Number series
Following are the multiple types of number series-
- Integer series – The integer number series is a sequence of real numbers, fractions and decimals. The sequence for this series is arranged as 1,3,5,9. In this series, the number that should come next is solved by the applicant.
- Rational series – The rational series is a sequence in which the numbers are written as quotients of fractions, where the denominator and numerator have integers. Example of rational series is- ½, ¾, 1.75 and 3.25.
- Arithmetic series – An arithmetic series is a mathematical order in which the next number or term originated after adding a constant to the predecessor. The arithmetic series can only be solved by a mathematical formula Xn=x1+(n-1). An example of arithmetic series is 3,8,13,18,23, in which 5 is constantly added to originate the next number in the sequence.
- Geometric series – It is an order of numbers determined by multiplying a constant number with the predecessor to form the next number in the sequence. The formula for the geometric series is expressed as Xn=x1 rn-1. An example of a geometric series is – 3,9,27,81,243, in which the multiples of 3 are there in the sequence.
- Square series – A square number sequence is called a perfect square sequence. In this type of series, an integer is the product of an integer with itself. The formula for the square sequence is Xn=n2. An example of a square sequence is 1,4,9,16,25.
- Cube series – Like the square sequence, the cube sequence is also a product of an integer multiplied by 3. Formula for cube sequence- Xn=n3. Example of the cube series is- 1,8,27,64,125.
- Fibonacci series – In a Fibonacci series, the order of numbers is formed from the addition of the previous two formulas. Example of Fibonacci series is- 0,1,1,2,3,5,8.
Steps to solve Number Series
An applicant can solve the series by following these simple steps –
Screening is the first step to solving the series test. In this step, an applicant must read the test question carefully. Sometimes, a careful reading of a series of questions can be enough to find a solution.
Step 2: Check the pattern of the series, decreasing or increasing or alternating
Sometimes applicants fail to decode the pattern of the numbered sequence. In a competitive exam preparation, the aspiring candidates should determine the series trend based on the series pattern. This can be done by looking at whether the series pattern decreases, increases, or alternates.
Step3: Check the increased or decreased rate of the series
After checking the series pattern, the applicants should discover the rate at which the terms of the series are increasing and decreasing.
Ways to solve the number of series –
Applying easy ways and tricks to crack the number series is essential to save your time during competitive exams. One who manages the time in their examination does well in those tests. Before you learn how to solve the series, learn to practice and save time during preparations. Now that you are done with your preparations and finally reached the examination stage, check the types of series given in the question paper. After identifying the type of series, follow the below tricks to get s solution for the series within no time-
- Check if all the numbers in the series are even, odd, or prime.
- Look if the numbers in the series are perfect squares or perfect squares.
- Check if all the numbers in the series consist of equal divisibility.
- Look if all the numbers in the sequence are succeeding by some subtraction, addition, division or multiplication methods by a specific number or by adding their square or cubes.
After going through the above tricks, whichever condition matches the sequential form, use the formulas accordingly.
Number series are the sequential form of numbers, alphabets, or letters arranged in a defined order. The next number in a sequence is obtained by following some formulas, tricks, and rules. You can use the above information to solve the number series. The easiest way of finding out the missing number is by analysing the pattern of the series and then applying the formula accordingly. Since solving a number sequence requires knowledge and practice, an applicant must practice the series regularly if they want to save time on the day of the examination.