Sign up now
to enroll in courses, follow best educators, interact with the community and track your progress.
Download
Chapter 14: Online NCERT Summary Class - VI (Science) for UPSC CSE
17,479 plays

More
Through this lesson, one can get comprehensive insights into the concepts related to water. The total percentage of water available on earth, out of which how much fresh water is left for drinking, how the water is being utilized and much more interesting facts are explained in this lesson. Using proper graphical representations he has highlighted the entire distribution of water on earth. Then he takes up the topic water cycle and gives a detailed brief about it.

Roman Saini is teaching live on Unacademy Plus

Roman Saini
Part of a great founding team at Unacademy with Gaurav, Hemesh. Movies, Guitar, Books, Teaching.

U
Unacademy user
ultimately your fast enough. try to take higher ncert. sir... kindly
freshwater definition which you have written on slide says 1 percent of ocean salinity but while speaking you are saying 1/10 of ocean salinity
HERE IS ANOTHER AWESOME LESSON FROM THE PUREST OF THE PURE SOUL ON THIS PLANET EARTH.....LONG LIVE ROMAN SIR...AND LONG LIVE UNACADEMY TEAM.... FEELING BLESSED TO BE BORN IN ''ROMAN ERA''....THANK U IS NOT THE WORD...SALUTE TO ALL MOTERS OF FOUNDING FATHERS AND GREAT EDUCATORS AND OTHER CONTRIBUTORS OF UNACADEMY...
Sir, can you tell us the source of information regarding water average usage etc. So that we can also gain some information from there.
Sir will you please summaries ncert of class 7,8,9,10
  1. Class 6 Science NCERT Part 7: Chapter 14 Water Presented by Dr. Roman Saini


  2. About me MBBS, AIIMS Cleared CSE-2013 Loves playing Guitar; Movie Buff Course Fee: Contribute Follow me on Unacademy https://un academy.in/user/Roman Saini


  3. Chapter 14: H20 89%-safe drinking water, 750 million ie. 1/9 no safe water to drink 71% of earth surface is covered by water O T 40-90% (average 70%) water which human uses : Goes to agriculture Average global water footprint of an individual is 1,385 m3 per year 5-10 KL : Average water consumption daily India-1100 m3, USA-2900 m3 Water use: Toilet flush, power/energy, showers/bath.


  4. More mobile phone > Toilet, not only in India but entire world 4 billion taps, 2.3 billion well/public sources (problem of washing, leaks, unpotable) Every minute = one child die due to water related disease 130-150 millions hours each day = Time spent in collection of water Four times economic returns on spending on water and sanitation, if you spend 10$, you will get 40$ in return


  5. 120 100 96.5% 80 60 40 20 2.5% 0.9% Freshwater Oceans Other saline water Total water


  6. Freshwater 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 68.7% 30.1% 1.2% Glaciers and Ice caps Groundwater Freshwater Surface/other freshwater


  7. Surface water and other freshwater 80 70 60 50 40 30 20 10 0 20.9% 3.8% 2.6% 3% 0.49% 0.26% 0.26% Ground ice and Lakes Soil moisture Swamps and RiversLiving things Atmosphere Marshes permafrost Surface water and other freshwater


  8. 97.5% Saline having 3.5% or 35 parts per thousand salts (96.5% Oceans, 0.9% other saline), 2.5% Freshwater (not much salts, <0.35 parts per 1000 or 1% of ocean salinity or 0.03596) out of this 2.5%, 68.7% Glaciers/Ice caps + 30.1% Groundwater = 98.8%; Rest is 1.2% (0.3% surface water, 0.9% other water) Of this total 1.2%, 69% is Ground ice/ permafrost, 20.9% lakes, 3.8% soil moisture, 3% atmosphere, 2.6% Marshes/swamps, 0.5% rivers, 0.25% living beings. Out of 0.3% surface water, lakes 84-87%, swamps make 11%, Rivers 2% 96.5% Se as and oceans, 1.7% groundwater, 1.7% glaciers/ice caps.<0.1% Large water bodies, <0.001% water vapour and precipitation


  9. Distribution of Earth's Water Fresh-2.5% water Other 0.9% Rivers 2% -Surface Ground water Swamps 10% 0.3% water 30.1 % Lakes 87% Icecaps and Glaciers 68.7% Saline oceans) 96.5% Fresh surface water (liquid) Earth's water Freshwater


  10. Fresh groundwater 7 600 ppm (0.76%) 10 530 000 km3 Ice caps, glaciers Saline groundwater 9 400 ppm (0.94%) 12 870 000 km3 & permanent snow 17 400 ppm (1.74%) 24 064 000 km Biological water 1 ppm (0.0001%) 1 120 km3 Atmosphere Ground ice & permafrost 220 ppm (0.022 300 000 km3 Absolute water content of earth 10 ppm (0.001%) 12 900 km3 Swamp water ppm (0.0008%) 11 470 km2 Soil Moisture 10 ppm (0.001%) 16 500 km Rivers ppm (0.0002%) 2 120 km3 Fresh lakes 70 ppm (0.007%) 91 000 km3 Saline lakes 60 ppm (0.006%) 85 400 km3 Oceans, seas & bays 5.000 ppm (96.5%) 1 338 000 000 km3


  11. USGS ThewN Water Cycle Volcanic steam Atmosphere Condensation Sublimation lce and snow Precipitation Desublimation Evapotranspirationaporation Fog drip Surface runoff Snowmelt runoff Dew Streamflow tration Evaporation Seep Spring Flora and fauna resh-Plant wateruptake Oceans ter flow U.S. Dept of the Interior U.S. Geological Surv John Evans, Howard http:llga.water.usgs.govledu/watercycle.html Vents and volcanos n, USGS tm Groundwater storage