EKAM Fest, a week-long exhibition-cum-fair, is basically an effort to promote entrepreneurship and knowledge among the Divyangjan (differently-abled) community. Entrepreneurship, Knowledge, Awareness, and Marketing is abbreviated as EKAM. In addition to this, the ekam festival help in generating awareness among the society about the Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) having the potential for entrepreneurship. At the first EKAM Fest, Divyangjan entrepreneurs and artisans from each corner of the nation were invited. The fest saw vibrant products ranging from handloom, dry fruits, handicrafts, personal accessories, and embroidery work.
EKAM Fest in 2020
A week-long exhibition-cum-fair, the first ekam festival 2020 held, was organized by National Handicapped Finance Developed Corporation (NHFDC) under the Ministry of Social justice and Empowerment. This particular festival was organized for the first time from 2nd March to 9th March 2020, in Emporia Complex, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, New Delhi-1. It was Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, the Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment who inaugurated the Ekam Fest held in the year 2020, in New Delhi.
- Ekam Fest came forward as an opportunity where divyang (differently-abled) craft persons and entrepreneurs were able to showcase their products made with extraordinary determination.
- It has been reported that 82 Divyang craftsmen and entrepreneurs from 17 states and union territories showcased their talent in the form of products ranging from handloom, dry fruits, handicraft, and embroidery work. They included 44 men and 38 women Divyang craftsmen and entrepreneurs.
Three New Initiatives Launched for Divyangs during the EKAM Fest
The following mentioned are three initiatives that were launched for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) during the ekam festival 2020 held in New Delhi:
- NHFDC Swavalamban Kendra (NSK): An initiative was taken by National Handicapped Finance Developed Corporation (NHFDC) to establish PWD (Person with Disability) owned micro skill training centers all over the nation for skill training of people suffering from disabilities. The NSKs established throughout the country will have the capacity to provide high-quality skill training to a maximum of 120 PwDs each year. Also, the owner of the NSK is expected to earn around RS. 20,000 every month.
- Safe Drinking Water E carts: E-carts fitted with RO water dispensing vending machines will be financed by National Handicapped Finance Developed Corporation (NHFDC) under this particular initiative. To maintain hygiene it was decided that these carts will sell water in paper glasses. It is the operation by Bharat Jal in which the E-Carts will be supported. In addition to this, the owner of these E-carts is expected to earn Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 15,000 each month in this operation.
- Safe Cabs in Delhi and Indore: National Handicapped Finance Developed Corporation (NHFDC) has made an arrangement with Sakha cabs where the Person with Disability (PwD) owned commercial vehicles will be driven by women drivers. The main aim of this initiative is to provide safe taxi options for women, children, and senior citizen commuters. Also, the vehicles will be financed by NHFDC.
Key Highlights of EKAM Fest
Here mentioned are the key highlights of the EKAM Fest which was organized in New Delhi in the year 2020:
- The EKAM Fest displayed the products made by Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs that ranged from textiles, home décor, lifestyle items, handlooms, dry fruits, handicrafts, personal accessories, stationery, toys and gifts, packed food, organic products, and embroidery work.
- Astrological consultations and foot massages given by Divyang professionals. In addition to this, several other activities like cultural extravaganza including the performances by Divyang artists and popular professionals were given during the fest.
- A free camp was organized by the National Association for the Blind (NAB) on 8th March to celebrate International Women’s Day. The camp in Hauz Khas, New Delhi was organized for the examination for early breast cancer by trained visually impaired women.
- It was Krishan Pal Gurjar, Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment who presented the awards to Divyangs artisans and entrepreneurs who participated in the EKAM Fest.
- The EKAM Fest held in 2020, New Delhi had the collective sales of more than Rs. 8 lakhs.
Key Participants in EKAM Fest
The key participants in the EKAM Fest held in the year 2020, New Delhi were:
- Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways (RT&H) and Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
- Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani, Union Minister for Women and Child Development and Textiles
- Krishan Pal Gurjar, Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment
EKAM Fest was organized by the National Handicapped Finance Development Corporation (NHFDC) under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in the year 2020, in New Delhi, India. The main aim of the ekam festival was to promote the craftsmanship and entrepreneurship of Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs. Not only this, but the fest works on generating awareness among the society about the Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) having the potential for entrepreneurship. Divyang artisans and entrepreneurs from all parts of the country were invited to participate in this fest. A varied range of products made by differently-abled people was showcased in this fest. Also, three initiatives for the Divyangs were launched by NHFDC during EKAM Fest.