The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is one of the most prominent Central Armed Police Forces in the country, operating under the Ministry of Home Affairs. Its principal function is to assist state governments and Union Territories in preserving law and order and combating insurgency. It has been used in anti-naxal operations for the past few years.
Role of CRPF
- CRPF and internal security
- CRPF engages in counter-terrorism, counter-militancy, and counterinsurgency operations in troubled areas of Jammu and Kashmir, the north-east and the naxal corridor (CRPF was the main body for antinaxal operations in the country).
- VIP and VVIP Protection: This force is also being deployed to provide security to VIPs and VVIPs in the country.
- CRPF and infrastructure protection
- The CRPF may also be deployed to protect vital installations such as airports, railway stations, and power stations.
- CRPF also protects important religious sites in the country, such as Vaishno Devi and Raghunath Temple in Jammu and Kashmir, Ram Janmabhoomi in Ayodhya, Kashi Vishwanath Temple in Varanasi, etc.
- CRPF and environmental protection
- CRPF maintains a “Green Force ‘’ to fight the smuggling of timber and other environmental crime, thereby checking environmental degradation and protecting local flora and fauna.
- CRPF and disaster management
- CRPF battalions also participate in rescue and relief operations in case of natural calamities and disasters.
- During natural disasters such as the Odisha super cyclone (1999), gujarat earthquake (2001), tsunami (2004), and J&K earthquake, the CRPF performed admirably in rescue and relief operations (2005).
- CRPF and peacekeeping
- CRPF contingents are also being deployed in United Nations peacekeeping missions in Namibia, Maldives, Bosnia, Somalia, Haiti and Kosovo. It was also sent to Sri Lanka as part of the Indian peacekeeping force between 1987 and 1990.
- CRPF had credited itself with global distinction by efficiently handling the peace missions under the auspices of the United Nations.
- CRPF and elections
- Elections are one of the most crucial and significant events in a democratic country like India.
- The government heavily relies on the CRPF to ensure free and fair elections, whether they are Parliamentary or Assembly elections across the country, and the CRPF has continued to fulfil this onerous responsibility and has been playing a significant role in election duties, particularly in states notorious for poll related violence and booth capturing.