Terms & Conditions – Unacademy Referral
Unacademy Learner Referral Program (“Referral Program”) is made available through the Platform to all
Learners (as defined in our Terms and Conditions) who are paid Subscribers on the
Eligibility and Participation: Participation in the Referral Program is voluntary, and all Learners on the
Platform are eligible to participate in the Referral Program. Accordingly, the ‘Age Requirements’ as stated in our Platform Terms shall continue to apply to
all Learners participating in the Referral Program.
When we refer to “you”/ “your/s”, we collectively mean you as the Learner on the Platform.
Similarly, when we speak of “Unacademy”, “we”, “us”, and “our”, we collectively mean Sorting Hat
Technologies Private Limited – a company incorporated in India and all its affiliates which have a license to
host the Platform and offer Services. Kindly refer to the About Unacademy and the
Platform section of the Terms and Conditions to know which Unacademy entity your Agreement (as defined in
Terms and Conditions) will be with.
Participation in our Referral Program is
subject to the following terms and conditions (“Referral Terms”). Please take the time to read our Referral
Terms and Platform Terms (as defined below). By participating in our Referral Program, you acknowledge that you have
read, understood, and agree to be legally bound by the terms and conditions of these Referral Terms along with the
conditions updated on the Platform or communicated to you from time to time (collectively referred to as the
“Platform Terms”). If you do not agree to any of the terms and conditions, then please do not participate in
our Referral Program or use our Service (as defined in our Terms and Conditions).
Capitalized terms not
defined in these Referral Terms shall have the meaning set forth in our Platform Terms.
We may change these
Referral Terms from time to time and will post any changes on the Platform or notify you via email, at our option,
as soon as such changes are in effect.
- Once registered on the Platform as a Learner, you will have the option to generate a referral code within your
account on the Platform or otherwise as directed on the Platform or as may be communicated to you by Unacademy
in writing (emails included)(“Referral Code”).
- You may refer friends or anyone by sending them the Referral Code via the Platform, email or through any other
mode or platform.
- Once a person registers on the Platform as a Learner and purchases a Subscription (as defined in our Terms and conditions) using your Referral Code, such person shall be considered as your
Please note that Referral Codes are unique to each Learner, and only when the person registering as a
Learner applies your Referral Code will he/she/they be considered as your Qualified Referral. In other words, if the
person you referred has failed to enter/apply the Referral Code that is unique to you while registering as a Learner
or purchasing a Subscription (as applicable) on the Platform, then such person shall not be considered as your
Qualified Referral, and you shall not be eligible to receive any Referral Rewards (defined below) in respect of that
person. Similarly, any failure on your part to display or share the correct Referral Code shall not be the
responsibility of Unacademy.
A ‘Qualified Referral’ does NOT include the following:
Referral Rewards: For each Qualified Referral you may be entitled to receive a reward in the form of cash,
gift vouchers or otherwise in kind as detailed out here or elsewhere on the Platform and/or as
communicated to you in writing (emails included) from time to time (“Referral Rewards”) (as defined below).
These Referral Rewards, and the duration for which these Referral Rewards are offered, are as detailed out on the
Platform and/or as communicated to you in writing (emails included). The Referral Rewards shall be determined by
Unacademy at its sole discretion and the same may vary from time to time, unless otherwise specifically communicated
to you in writing (emails included).
- Self-Referrals shall not be deemed as a Qualified Referral and Referral Rewards are not valid or payable for
Self-Referrals. So, if your personal details, including but not limited to, last name, email address, IP address
or website details, are the same as your Qualified Referral(s), then such referral will be deemed as a
“Self-Referral”. Unacademy, in its sole discretion, will determine the classification of any referral as
- Referrals made to any existing Learners on the Platform shall not be deemed as Qualified Referrals; only a new
user registering on the Platform using your Referral Code shall be considered as your Qualified Referral.
- If a Learner referred by you initiates cancellation or refund of the Subscription on the Platform within 30
(thirty) days (or such other number of days as mentioned on the Platform) from the date of purchase of the
Subscription on the Platform, or if there have been any chargebacks by such Learner, then such Learner referred
by you shall not be deemed as a Qualified Referral, and you shall not be entitled to any Referral Rewards in
respect of such Learner.
- No referral by you shall be considered as a Qualified Referral, if Unacademy suspects any fraudulent activity
by you to increase your Qualified Referrals, including without limitation, the use of any software that
generates real and fictitious information, multiple accounts from the same users referred by you, or any
activity that does not comply with the Referral Terms and/or the Platform Terms. In these cases, Unacademy shall
also have the right to terminate your account and access to the Platform at its sole discretion.
- Where any Learner referred by you receives from or was offered coupons, refunds, credits or discounts by you
to purchase a Subscription on the Platform and such offering was a not authorised by Unacademy, then such
purchase by the Learner referred by you shall not amount to a Qualified Referral.
- If it is found by Unacademy that you have adopted marketing practices in contravention to these Referral Terms
or that we deem to be unethical or are likely to attract fraudulent signups, then such Learners referred by you
shall not be deemed as Qualified Referrals.
- Any referral that is deemed to be in contravention of these Referral Terms, Platform Terms and/or any other
terms as communicated to you by Unacademy in writing (emails included) at the sole discretion of Unacademy,
shall not be deemed as a Qualified Referral.
It is hereby clarified that the Referral Rewards shall be inclusive of
all applicable taxes and subject to deduction of applicable taxes. Unacademy shall not be responsible to pay any
taxes on the Referral Rewards in any manner.
Disbursement of Referral Rewards: We will track the Qualified Referrals generated by you through your
Referral Code, and we will make this information available to you either on your dashboard on the Platform or
otherwise communicate to you (including via email). To permit accurate tracking, reporting, and commission accrual,
you must ensure that the Referral Codes are properly made available to your referrals. Further, please note the
Marketing and Promotions:
- Based on your Qualified Referrals, you shall be entitled to such Referral Rewards as determined by Unacademy
at the time of its accrual. The information regarding the Referral Rewards you may be entitled to shall be made
available to you either on your dashboard or shall be communicated to you by Unacademy including via email.
- The Referral Rewards shall be disbursed to you upon you claiming the same either through your dashboard or
through such other mechanism as may be communicated to you by Unacademy. Unless duly claimed by you in
accordance with the mechanism communicated by Unacademy, Unacademy shall not be obligated to disburse any
Referral Reward to you on any account whatsoever.
- You are entitled to Referral Rewards only for your Qualified Referrals as verified by Unacademy in accordance
with these Referral Terms and other terms as may be communicated to you in writing (emails included).
- Referral Rewards shall be disbursed to you based on the current information provided by you on the Platform,
including your email address and phone number. In case of any changes, it shall be your sole responsibility to
update the information in your dashboard or by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, and Unacademy shall not be liable for the same.
- If there are any cash-based Referral Rewards, then the payment of same may be facilitated to you subject to
your submission of the required ‘Know your Customer’ (KYC) documents, and any other tax related documents as may
be required by Unacademy.
- It is hereby clarified that the Referral Rewards shall be inclusive of all applicable taxes and subject to
deduction of applicable taxes. Unacademy shall not be responsible to pay any taxes on the Referral Rewards in
- Unacademy reserves the right to withhold disbursement of Referral Rewards if it is determined that you have
referrals that are in contravention of these Referral Terms and/or any terms as may be communicated to you in
writing (emails included).
- Unacademy reserves the right to immediately cancel or withhold for later review any Referral Rewards that fail
to meet the criteria of a ‘Qualified Referral’. You are responsible for monitoring the disbursement, denial, and
withholding of Referral Rewards; Unacademy is not obligated to actively notify you of the status of the Referral
Rewards except as stated hereunder. If you have any questions about your Referral Rewards that have been
cancelled or withheld, you have thirty (30) days from the day such Referral Reward would have accrued to contact
Unacademy requesting the information for such cancellation or withholding. Any changes to decisions about
cancelled or withheld Referral Reward are strictly made in Unacademy’s sole discretion
Coupons and Promotional Codes: You may only use coupons and promotional codes that are provided
exclusively through the Referral Program. We do not provide any rewards or incentives to Qualified Referrals, unless
otherwise specifically communicated in writing (digital medium included), and Unacademy reserves the right to cancel
any and all Referral Rewards where it finds evidence of any activity run by you that claims or otherwise
communicates offering of rewards or incentives to Qualified Referrals by Unacademy. Further, we do not encourage you
to offer such incentives or rewards to promote the use of your Referral Code in any manner.
- You shall bear your own costs and expenses related to marketing and promoting Unacademy. Unacademy is not
obligated to reimburse or credit you for any marketing expenses, unless it has been specifically agreed by
Unacademy in writing (emails included).
- You hereby represent and warrant that your marketing practices do not violate any of the following
restrictions. you shall -
- not advertise Unacademy as a free product.
- not make any false, misleading, or disparaging statements with respect to the Unacademy, its employees,
its customers, its affiliates, its Services, or the Referral Program.
- not use traffic that is generated by, including, but not limited to, pay to click, pay to read, banner
exchanges, click exchanges, cost-per-view advertising, pop-up/under, spam, purchased traffic, or similar
methods without prior written consent from Unacademy.
- not create websites or advertisements that copy, imitate, or resemble the look and feel of Unacademy’s
- not engage in the advertisement of business-opportunity websites or use marketing practices that attract
fraudulent or short-term customers.
- not engage in any marketing activity that may harm the reputation or credibility of Unacademy, including
but not limited to using low-quality marketing materials, or advertising on any website that promotes
violence, discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age,
or any illegal activities, or violates the intellectual property or other rights of a third party.
- include a physical mailing address and unsubscribe information for any marketing email sent promoting
- communicate clearly that they, not Unacademy, are the sender of all marketing communications related to
the promotion of Unacademy’s Services as part of the Referral Program.
- not engage in any marketing or promotional activities that violate applicable laws, rules, or regulations.
- not market using facsimile, broadcast, telemarketing, text message marketing, or other offline marketing
methods regarding Unacademy and/or its Services without the express written consent of Unacademy.
- not use malware or spyware to market or promote Unacademy’s Services.
IP Licenses and Use:
- Except as permitted herein, you shall not and are not authorized to –
- use Unacademy’s trademark or other intellectual property, including without limitation, the Referral Codes
(collectively, “Unacademy’s Intellectual Property” or “Unacademy’s IP”) without Unacademy’s express
prior written permission;
- use Unacademy’s name (or any variation or misspelling thereof or other terms that are confusingly similar
to any of the foregoing) in a domain name, any metatags, advertising, search terms, code, or otherwise; or
- act in any way that causes or could cause any confusion concerning the source of, or your association with
Unacademy’s Services. Your use of Unacademy’s IP in any manner, other than as expressly permitted hereunder
and/or as communicated to you by Unacademy in writing (emails included) shall constitute infringement of
Unacademy’s IP rights and Unacademy shall have the right to enforce its rights against you which may subject
you to liabilities including without limitation to pay Unacademy’s legal fees and costs.
- You are prohibited from bidding on any Unacademy trademarks, or any variations and misspellings thereof.
Examples of prohibited keywords are “Unacademy”, “Un-academy” “Unacademyapp”, “Unacademy.com”,
“Unacademy.in”, “Unacademyapp.co”, “india.Unacademy.com," “Unacademy hosting”, “Unacademy domains”.
- You are prohibited from bidding on keywords containing Unacademy trademarks plus an additional term such as
[Unacademy coupons], [Unacademy promotions], and [Unacademy promos]. Further, you are NOT permitted to phrase
match any of these keywords.
- You are prohibited from outranking Unacademy's internal paid search ad on any keywords.
- You are prohibited from direct linking to the Platform from any paid search ads.
- You are prohibited from using www.unacademy.com as a display URL.
If you are
determined to be in violation of this section, then your participation in the Referral Program may be terminated.
For more information on match types, please visit Google's overview of match
Subject to the limitations set forth in these Referral Terms, we grant you a
non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable, revocable license to (i) provide access to Unacademy’s website
through the Referral Codes solely in accordance with these Referral Terms; and (ii) use Unacademy’s IP for the sole
purpose of promoting Unacademy’s Services in accordance with these Referral Terms and/or any terms as may be
communicated to you in writing (emails included).
You shall not alter, modify, or change Unacademy’s IP in
any way or use Unacademy’s IP in any manner that is disparaging or that otherwise portrays Unacademy, any Unacademy
employee, representative or customer in a negative light. You are only entitled to use Unacademy’s IP in compliance
with these Referral Terms, Platform Terms and/or any terms as may be communicated to you in writing (emails
Your license to use Unacademy’s IP shall immediately terminate upon the termination of your
participation in the Referral Program for any reason. We reserve all of our rights in Unacademy’s IP and your
license to use Unacademy’s IP is limited to the manner described herein.
- Unacademy reserves the right to modify or cancel the Referral Program in its entirety without prior notice.
Similarly, Unacademy reserves the right to modify, add or delete any of the terms under this Referral Terms at
any point of time at its sole discretion without serving any prior intimation. Intimation of any change,
modification, addition, deletion in the Referral Terms will be updated on this page or in the relevant section
of the Platform.
- Referral Rewards are non-transferable; non-endorsable; non- exchangeable for equivalent amount of money or
anything of value. Unacademy does not promise/promote to do the same.
- Referral Rewards are time-bound, and accordingly the same must be availed within the duration specified on the
Platform and/or as communicated to you in writing (emails included).
- Unacademy reserves the right to cancel, revoke, or otherwise prevent the issuance of Referral Rewards in any
suspected case of fraudulent use or misuse of this Referral Program. Spam and/or illegal emails are not
Referral Terms and Conditions – Version 2.0
Last Updated on 22 March, 2022