Roman Saini is teaching live on Unacademy Plus
Biology MCOs Based on Class XI NCERT
1. Which of the following is not a characteristic of a living thing? a) Metabolism Reproduction o Regeneration a None of these
s Solution: d Explanation : o All of them are the defining features of a living thing
2. Consider the following statements. 1. Prokaryotic cells have a definite nucleus. 2 Eukaryotic cells are larger than prokaryotic cells a Prokaryotic cells have better functional efficiency than the Eukaryotic cells. Which of the above statements is/are true? a 1 and 2 only b) 2 and 3 only 2 only All of these d)
, Solution: C Explanation The distinction between prokaryotes and eukaryotes is considered to be the most important distinction among groups of organisms. Eukaryotic cells contain membrane-bound organelles, such as the nucleus, while prokaryotic cells do not. Prokaryotes are usually much smaller than eukaryotic cells. In eukaryotes, the mitochondria and chloroplasts perform various metabolic processes. Thus it is more functionally efficient.
3. Blue green algae is? a Prokaryotic b Eukaryotic o Plant d) None of these
Solution: a Explanation: Cyanobacteria, formerly called "blue-green algae" are relatively simple, primitive life forms closely related to bacteria.
4. Spirogyra is a? a) Plant b Animal o Bacteria a Fungi
o Solution: a
5 'Puccinia, which causes Wheat Rust is a? Bacteria o Virus Pest Fungi
, Solution: d
6. Consider the following statements. Saprophytes are decomposers. 2 Yeast is a type of saprophyte. a Penicillium is a fungi Which of the above is/are false? a) 1 and 2 only b) 1 Only 2 and 3 only None of these
7. Viruses are? a Proteirn Parasite Both a and b None of these
s Solution: c Explanation Virus is a nucleoprotein that could be either DNA or RNA. Virus survives on the cells it infects. It is obligate parasite. : o
Solution: b Explanation: Viroids are infectious agents which are smaller than viruses. They are free from RNA and proteins.
. Solution d Explanation: Algae and fungi are in symbiotic relationship in Lichens. The algal component is called Phycobiont.
10. Fungi are Heterotrophic Parasites Symbionts Which of the above properties belong to fungi? a 1 and 3 b 2 and 3 1,2 and 3 All of these d)
Solution: d Explanation: Fungi are heterotrophic - they obtain their organic material from external sources, their environment. They have no chlorophyll; they are not green in color. In comparison, most plants are autotrophic, they are able to manufacture their food from solar radiation and water. Fungi may depend on living things as parasites or may live in symbiotic relationship as symbionts. E.g. lichens, Mycorrhiza
11. Fungi reproduce by? a Vegetative means b Sexual means e Asexual means o All of these
Solution; d Explanation: Archaebacteria are known to survive in extreme harsh conditions.
Solution: d Explanation: Cyanobacteria contain chlorophyll - the green pigment found in plants. They produce their own food. Bacteria decompose complex material They are unicellular organisms.
o Solution: d Explanation: The Mycoplasma are the organisms that completely lack a cell wall. They are the smallest and can survive without oxygen.
Solution a Explanation Cuscuta is a parasitic plant. All plants' cell have cell wall around them. The plant cell wall is composed of cellulose. Cellulose is a structural carbohydrate and is considered a complex sugar because it is used in both protection and structure.
16. Consider the following statements. Algae are chlorophyll bearing aquatic organisms found in water only 2 They are unicellular They reproduce by vegetative methods only Which of the above is/are true? a 1 and 3 b) 2 and 3 1, 2 and 3 c) None of these
o Solution: d Explanation: Porphyra, laminaria and Sargassum are among the 70 species of marine algae used as food.
Solution: a Explanation: Bryophytes are commonly found in moist shaded areas in hills. They can live in both soil and water.
20. Flowers are found in? a Gymnosperms b Algae Mycorrhiza a Angiosperms
a Solution: d Explanation: Angiosperms are also called flowering plants.
21. What is the basis of classification of algae? Cell structure Pigments Reproduction ) Symbiosis
26. Roots of a plant modify into Pneumatophores? a To help in nutrient absorption b To support the plant e To get oxygen for respiration a To absorb spores
o Solution: d Explanation: a Green part of plants can do photosynthesis. Also Aerial roots of some trees like mangroves also have photosynthetic capability.
Solution: d Explanation: Leaves as usual do photosynthesis. But modified leaves such as in cactus do the defense in form of thorns, in the pitcher plant, modified leaves trap the incoming insect.
30. Consider the following statements In a flower the stamen is the female part and the carpel is the male part. Androecium is composed of stamens A flower is bisexual only Which of the above statements is/are false? a. a) 1 and 3 b) 2 and 3 1 only None of these
s Solution: a Explanation Carpel is the female part while stamen is the male part. Flower can be unisexual or bisexual. : o o