Riya Agarwal is teaching live on Unacademy Plus
2 DATA SUFFICIENCY g0 Ou 45
About Me . I hold a B.E degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering. . CAT, 18: DI & LR-99.59 %ile. You can follow me on Unacademy for complete preparation guide on DILR section for CAT and OMETs S.
2 DATA SUFFICIENCY g0 Ou 45
Direction for questions 1 to 8: Each question is followed by two statements A and B. Answer (1) if the statement can be solved by any one of the statements but not the other one. Answer (2) If question can be solved by using either of the two statements. Answer (3) If the question can be solved by using both the statements together and not by any one of them. Answer (4) if the question cannot be solved with the help of given data and more data is required.
1. In a hockey match, the Indian team was behind by 2 goals with 5 minutes remaining. Did they win the match? (A) Deepak Thakur, the Indian striker scored 3 goals in the last 5 minutes of the match. (B) Korea scored a total of 3 goals in the match. 2. Four students were added to a dance class. Would the teacher be able to divide her students evenly into a dance team (or teams) of 8? (A) If 12 students were added, then the teacher could put everyone in teams of 8 without any leftovers. (B) The number of students in the class is currently not divisible by 8. 3. Is xy? (A) (x ty))-4 (B) (x- 50)A2 (y -50)A2 4. A dress was initially listed at a price that would have fetched the store a profit of 20 % on the wholesale cost. What was the wholesale cost of the dress? (A) After reducing the listed price by 10% the dress was sold for a net profit of 10 dollars. (B) The dress was sold for 50 dollars.
5. Is 500 the average (arithmetic mean) score of the GMAT? (A) Half of the people who take GMAT score above 500 & half people score below 500. (B) The highest GMAT score is 800 and the lowest score is 200. 6. Is | x-21 <1? (A) Ixl >1 7. Members in a club either speak French or Russian or both. Find the number of members in a club who speak only French. (A) There are 300 members in the club and the number of members who speak both French and Russian is 196. (B) The number of members who speak only Russian is 58. 8. A sum of Rs. 38,500 was divided among Jagdish, Punit and Girish. Who received the minimum amount? (A) Jagdish received 2/9 of what Punit and Girish together received. (B) Punit received 3/11 of what Jagdish and Girish together received
5. Is 500 the average (arithmetic mean) score of the GMAT? (A) Half of the people who take GMAT score above 500 & half people score below 500. e) The highestGMAT score is 80 and the lowest score is 200. Solution: Consider statement A: This statement alone does not give sufficient information as we do not know how much above/below 500 these students scored. For example, it is possible that one student scored 800, one scored 750, the third scored 450, while the last scored 200. Then, average (800 750 +450 + 200)/4 550 500 Consider statement B: Using this statement alone, we cannot say whether 500 is the average score of GMAT. The previous example can be used here as well. Combining both statements together: Even now, we cannot determine the average. Hence, option 4.
6. Is | x-21 <1? (A) Ixl > 1 (B) I x-1 | <2 Answer (1) if the statement can be solved by any one of the statements but not the other one. Answer (2) If question can be solved by using either of the two statements Answer (3) If the question can be solved by using both the statements together and not by any one of them. Answer (4) if the question cannot be solved with the help of given data and more data is required.
6. Is | x-21 <1? (A) Ixl > 1 (B) 1 x-1 | <2 Solution: Consider statement A: I xl > 1 => x <-1 or x > 1 For x = 1.5, 1 x-2 l < 1 is true; For x = 4, 1 x-21 < 1 is false. . Statement A alone is not sufficient. consider statement B: 1 x-11 < 2 =>-2 < x-1 < 2 =>-1 < x < 3 For-1 < x< 1, Ix-21 < 1 is false; For 1<x <3, Ix 2l < 1 is true. . Statement B alone is not sufficient. Consider both the statements: We have, 1 < x < 3 For this range, Ix - 21 < 1 is true. .:. Both the statements combined together are sufficient to answer the question.