Verbal Analogy GATE
The dictionary defines an analogy as a "similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar." In each of the questions contained in this section, you will find a pair of related words Look at those words and try to figure out how they are connected to one another. For example, what is the connection between the words fish and scales? Obviously, a fish is covered with scales; now think of two other words that share a similar relationship
A good example of this would be bird and feathers. The similarity between these two unrelated pairs of words is an analogy The best way to approach an analogy question is to make up a sentence that describes the relationship between the first two words and find another pair in the choices that would fit into that same sentence. A fish is covered with scales, as a bird is covered with feathers.
0. PETAL: FLOWER a. recliner: chair b. leaf: tree c. basket ball d. material : fabrio e. avocado : guacamole 1. SHELF BOOKCASE a. arm : leg b. stage: curtain c. bench : chair d. key: piano e. lamp bulb
2. FISH: SCHOOL a. wolf: pack b. tiger jungle c. herd: peacock d. raven :school e. dog: collie 3. SCALE WEIGHT a. yardstick: length b. width : depth c. length: width d. size : area e. mileage: speed
4. WATERMELON: FRUIT a. collar leash b. dog: companion c. fish : bowl d. Dalmatian : canine e. apple : orange 5. FOOT: SKATEBOARID a. tire automobile b. lace : shoe c. ounce : scale d. walk: jump e. pedal: bicycle
6. STRETCH: EXTEND a. tremble: roll b. thirsty: drink c. shake: tremble d. stroll : run e. stitch: tear 7. KANGAROO: MARSUPIAL a. salmon : mollusk b. zebra: horse c. rhinoceros : pachyderm d. beagle: feline e. grasshopper : rodent
8. STARVING HUNGRY a. neat: thoughtful b. towering : cringing c. progressive: regressive d. happy : crying e. depressed : sad 9. DERMATOLOGIST ACNE a. psychologist : neurosis b. child: pediatrician c. ophthalmologist: fracture d. oncologist: measles e. allergies : orthopedist
10. FRAME: PICTURE a. display : museum b. shelf: refrigerator c. mechanic: electrician d. nail : hammer e. fence: backyard
0. b. A petal is a part of a flower, a leaf is a part of a tree. 1. d. A shelf is a part of a bookcase; a key is a part of a piano. 2. a. A group of fish is called a school; a group of wolves is called a pack. 3. a. A scale measures weight; a yardstick measures length. 4. d. Watermelon is a kind of fruit; Dalmatian is a kind of canine. 5. e. A foot propels a skateboard; a pedal propels a bicycle
THE END!! RATE.. REVIEW.. RECOMMEND!
Graduated from ST. Francis Degree college in bachelor's English literature . I have about 8 months of experience in teaching. Currently pur