Jatin Verma is teaching live on Unacademy Plus
Expected MCQs for UPSC CSE Prelims 2018 based on 11th August 2017 Current Affairs
INSTRUCTIONS Correct Conclusion Watch the lessons on 'The Hindu Summary and Editorial Analysis' video before or after attempting the question. Very low chance of selection 1-3 Can do better, need to grind more 4-5 As soon as the question appears, pause the video, answer the question 6-7 Gaing good, almost there and resume it. Very high chance of selection 100% of the time, without fail, calculate your score and write it in the comments section (Compete). 8 or more
1. Consider the following statements about the Guam island: 1. It is a controversial detention camp operated by the USA near Cuba. 2. It is an important military base of the USA. Which of the above statements is/are correct? A. 1 only B. 2 only C. Both 1 and 2 D. Neither 1 nor 2
Solution: EB Explanation: Guam island is an unincorporated territory of the United States in the North Pacific Ocean. It is the largest, most populous, and southernmost of the Mariana Islands. .It lies close to the Korean peninsula at a distance of 3,400 kms and about 2,600 km east of Manila. The USA has established two major bases in Guam island North Korea has recently announced a detailed plan to launch a volley of ballistio missiles toward Guam.
2. Consider the following statements about International Organisation for Migration: 1. 2. 3. It is a body created by the European Union for orderly migration. It can also organise elections for migrants out of their country Recently, it became a related organisation of the United Nations. Which of the above statements is/are correct? A. 1 only B. 1 and 2 C. 1 and 3 D. 2 and 3
Solution: D Explanation: International Organisation for Migration is an intergovernmental organization that provides support in the field of migration. It was established in 1951 as the Intergovernmental Committee for European Migration to help resettle people displaced by World War II and has 166 member states today. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migran ts in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. In addition, IOM has often organized elections for refugees out of their home country, as was the case in the 2004 Afghan elections and the 2005 Iraqi elections. . .As of September 2016, it became a related organization of the United Nations
3. Consider the following statements about Seychelles: 1. It was a former German colony. 2. It gained independence after the end of second world war. 3. India and Seychelles conduct joint military exercise called Lamitye. Which of the above statements is/are correct? A. 1 only B. 1 and 2 C. 3 only D. 2 and3
Solution: C Explanation: Seychelles is an archipelago and country in the Indian Ocean. It proclaimed independence from the United Kingdom in 1976 (so not immediately after the end of WW II) and in the same year India-Seychelles diplomatic ties were established. Seychelles is a maritime neighbour and trusted friend of India. The two countries have strong security and defence cooperation in the Indian Ocean region. Since 2001, India and Seychelles are conducting joint military drill 'Exercise Lamitye.
4. Consider the following statements about the Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana: 1. Its aim is to provide railway transport service in unserved areas. 2. It will operate under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana National Rural Livelihoods Mission. Which of the above statements is/are correct? A. 1 only B. 2 only C. Both 1 and 2 D. Neither 1 nor 2
Solution:B Explanation: Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) is a new sub-scheme of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM). The Self Help Groups under DAY-NRLM will operate road transport service in backward areas. This will help to provide safe, affordable and community monitored rural transport services to connect remote villages with key services and amenities. This will also provide an additional avenue of livelihood for SHGs.
Solution: EB Explanation: The National Health Policy 2017 aims at achieving universal health coverage and delivering quality health care services to all at affordable cost. .It looks at problems and solutions holistically with private sector as strategic partners. It proposes free drugs, free diagnostics and free emergency care services in all public hospitals. The policy proposes raising public health expenditure to 2.5% of the GDP in a time bound manner. It advocates allocating major proportion (upto two-thirds or more) of resources to primary care followed by secondary and tertiary care. The policy aspires to provide at the district level most of the secondary care which is currently provided at a medical college hospital It seeks to strengthen the health, surveillance system and establish registries for diseases of public health importance, by 2020.
Solution: C Explanation: Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017 inserts provisions for recovery of outstanding loans. The Central Government may authorise the RBl to direct banks to initiate recovery proceedings against loan defaulters. . These recovery proceedings will be under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016. .The RBI may from time to time issue directions to banks for resolving stressed assets. .The RBl may specify authorities or committees to advise banks on resolving stressed assets. Members on these committees will be appointed or approved by the RBI
Solution: D Explanation: .The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test or NEET-UG is an entrance examination, for students who wish to study any graduate medical course (MBBS/ dental course (BDS) or postgraduate course (MD MS) in government or private medical colleges in India. rt oure (vno no d gatemedita cr ts NEET-UG, for MBBS and BDS courses, are conducted by CBSE. NEET-UG replaced the All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT) and all individual MBBS exams conducted by states or colleges in 2013. Undergraduate courses at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi, Postgraduate Institute for Medical Education and Research in Chandigarh, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research are outside the NEET's purview, as these institutes were set up by separate laws.
9. Which of the following places share border with Yemen? 1. Djibouti 2. Oman 3. Gulf of Aden A. 1 and 2 B. 1 and 3 C. 2 and 3 D. All the above
Solution:C Explanation: Yemen is an Arab country in Western Asia at the southern end of the Arabian Peninsula. . Yemen is the second-largest country in the peninsula. s for about 2,000 km. It is bordered by Saudi Arabia to the north, the Red Sea to the west, the Gulf of Aden and Arabian Sea to the south, and Oman to the east. Yemen has been in a state of political crisis since 2011, starting with street protests against poverty, unemployment, corruption. .Yemen is also facing a chronic water- shortage crisis.