India is an enormous country with so many states and villages. For the proper functioning of law and order in India, it’s crucial to divide the services of India into various subparts.
Different types of public services in India, their function and their jurisdiction process are the topics dealt in this article.
Definition of Public Services
The state provides some specific services to its citizens under its jurisdiction, either directly or indirectly. The main motto of public services in India is to take care of whether the rules are properly implemented or not in the state. They had to keep an eye on whether everyone was abiding by the rules and regulations. If you are a member of public services and wish to become one, then you will receive many perks. You get the opportunity to experience the top-class facilities. You will get the honour to serve this nation in the best possible way.
Types of Indian Public Services
Currently, you will find three main public services in India, which are named as follows. Stay glued to this article for more information
- All India Service(AIS)
- The Central Services
- The State Services
All India Service(AIS)
People are recruited in this type of service by an exam known as UPSC. It falls under the category of both central and state. People selected under this category are the best talents of India and need to undergo a very tough examination which is UPSC. They are directly controlled by the central government of India. The top positions of people who are selected under this category are.
Types of All India Services
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS): These people are responsible to handle the rules and regulations of the state and are solely responsible for administrative work. They also supervise different areas to ensure that everyone is following the rules strictly. It’s also known as Indian Civil Service.
- Indian Police Service (IPS): The main motto of IPS officers is to take care of the proper implementation of the laws. They are responsible to ensure peace and harmony among the citizens.
- Indian Forest Service (IFS): These are the people who fight to protect the rights and interests of our country. To maintain a nice bond with every country so that there’s a mutual transfer of goods and services. They are the ones who dedicate everything for the sake of the nation and work day and night.
The people who work under this category work directly under the umbrella of the Central government. The people are assigned to various positions under this category. When India was ruled by the Britishers, the central services were divided as class-A, class-B, inferior class, and subordinate class. After India got its independence in 1947, the central services were revised as group-A, group-B, group-C, and group-D. There are various positions under group-A in central services. The list of them is as follows.
Types of Central Services
- Central Engineering Service
- Central Health Service
- Central Information Service
- Central Legal Service
- Central Secretariat Service
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service
- Indian Defence Accounts Service
- Indian Economic Service
- Indian Foreign Service
- Indian Meteorological Service
- Indian Postal Service
- Indian Revenue Service
- Indian Statistical Service
- Overseas Communication Service
- Railway Personnel Service
As the name suggests, the state servants work under the guidance of the state government. There are further bifurcations under state services, which are technical services, general services, and functional services. The topmost position of public services in India is AIS, and state services fall in the lowermost category. There are various services of the state, but it also varies with respect to the state. Here, you will find the list of state services that are common to all the states.
Types of State Services
- Civil Service
- Police Service
- Forest Service
- Agricultural Service
- Medical Service
- Veterinary Service
- Fisheries Service
- Judicial Service
- Public Health Service
- Educational Service
- Co-operative Service
- Registration Service
- Sales Tax Services
- Jail Service
- Service of Engineers
All the above-mentioned services are recognized as state services. They are mentioned as state services by adding the name of the state as the prefix. For example, if you belong to Kerala and you are working in jail service, then the name of state service would be Kerala Jail Service. In the same way, it’s valid to all other states of India.
In order to make the jurisdiction process of India transparent, it’s vital to divide the services into various parts. Every service person has their specific roles assigned to them and falls into different categories of jurisdiction.