There are many ways to write any content. Narrative writing is a type of art. It can be written in four ways—persuasive, descriptive, expository and narrative. Narration is the art of describing the story, including its factual and fictional aspects. How a person narrates with his friend, similarly the narrative writing is written. Both stories based on facts and fiction come under the narrative; only the difference lies in the quantity of proof a writer describes while writing. So, real things are introduced in factual narrative writing, while unrealistic things are introduced in fiction.
A narrative is a handwritten text written to convey something to the reader with the help of different characters, events, and facts. Narrative writing is usually written to describe all types of stories, whether based on fact or fiction. It is a simple description of any realistic or unrealistic event written in the same format as the paragraph. So, the complete text of narrative writing is written within three to five paragraphs. The different characters, dialogue, and events make the narrative writing attractive.
Narrative examples: Fiction, anecdotes, novels and poems.
Purpose of a narrative writing
Narrative writing aims to deliver the piece of content in different events and an engaging tone, whether the content is factual or fictional. So, writing attractive and engaging content is the goal of narrative writing. The narrative writing approach should be perfect, and the rhythm of the article should be clear.
Let’s understand some narration rules. These rules describe how to write narrative writing. These are:
- The piece of narrative writing should be short and informative. It must be written in an engaging tone.
- The format of narrative writing consists of an introduction, body and conclusion. In the introduction, a brief description is included. In the body, the entire content of the topic is described. In conclusion, the summing up of the whole content should be done, where three to four lines are written as a verdict.
- The introduction is written in a precise manner. A short description, including characters, should be given in the introduction. It must be very attractive and engaging. Although, it must be written so that the reader gets excited about reading the whole story.
- The body part of the narrative is written in an informative way. All the essentials are included in this part. The different events of the story are described in a separate paragraph for facilitating clarity. The rhythm of writing should be proper and engaging.
- The conclusion is a little summary of the whole narrative writing. It should be attractive and consist of all the important points of the story as a short note.
- Mention the role of different characters.
- While writing fictional writing, make sure that the unrealistic events are not included too much. It may cause the reader to lose interest.
- Write short and clear sentences. It must be written so that the reader understands the whole story in one shot.
- Add some unique phrases, unique words to make your narrative writing very engaging and attractive.
Let’s understand the narration more clearly with narrative examples:
- Fiction: It is imaginary narrative writing based on an unrealistic world. Detailed predictions and explanations are usually used to write such narrative writing.
- Non-fiction: It is a real-life event described with emotions and feelings. All the events and characters in this narrative writing are based on reality.
- Poetry is the art of describing the whole feeling in very short sentences with proper rhythm. It can be based on both fiction and fact. The style of writing the poetry is unique and attractive. The writer describes all his emotions within eight to fourteen lines.
Types of narrative writing
There are four types of narrative writing. These are:
- Linear narrative
- Non-linear narrative
- Quest narrative
- Viewpoint narrative
In this type of narrative, the description of the event is given the same way it happened. No extra content is added in linear writing.
Linear narrative example: Pride and Prejudice
In a non-linear narrative, the description of the event should not be given the same way it happened. Some extra stuff is added to the content to make it engaging and attractive.
Non-linear narrative example: The Odyssey
In this type of narrative writing, mainly motivational stories are written. In these stories, the protagonist’s character is included, who works day and night to achieve his goals.
Quest narrative example: Sherlock Holmes
This kind of narrative writing is used to describe the point of view of a writer. Here, the writer plays the role of the main character and writes all their emotions and feelings as they are.
Viewpoint narrative example: Lolita
The act of narration needs narrative writing. Narrative writing is the most important part of English literature. Many stories, fiction, poems of English literature are written narratively. This manner of writing is the most suitable way of writing because a writer can write all types of stories in narrative writing. Whether it is a poem, real event, fiction, biography, poem, etc., it is written in narrative writing. Although, it is best to deliver your thoughts to your reader. It is of four types, and all its types cover all the basic structure of English literature.