Chetan Mna is teaching live on Unacademy Plus
INTELLIGENCE BUREAU ASSISTANT CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE OFFICER 2014 -15 SOLVED QUESTION PAPER Presented by Chetan
3. SCHEME OF EXAMINATION Tier/Mode of Description of examination Total examinationn Time Marks(minutes) Written Exam Objective type MCQs, divided into 4 parts containing 25 questions of 1 marks each on: a) General Awareness b) Quantitative aptitude c) Logical/analytical ability d) English language. Descriptive type: a) Essay on one of the given Tier-I 100 60 Tier- topics (30 marks), & 50 60 b) English comprehension & pr cis writing (20 marks).
1. Curcuma longa is the scientific name of which spice? Cumin Cloves Turmeric -.-..-- Coriander Cuminum cyminum Syzygium aromaticum ANSWER Coriandrum sativum 2. Bones found in the hands and feet as the percentage of total number of bones in the body of an adult human being is nearly equal to 20% 30% 40% 50%-ANSWER ( 206 in adult & 360 at birth) (27 in each hand and 26 in each foot ) 3. Europeans are believed to have brought potatoes to India in the 18th century. Which region of the world is believed to be the origin of potato cultivation? Eastern Ghana Southern Peru ANSWER Portugal West Indies
4. Oymyakon is generally considered the coldest inhabited area on Earth. Which country Oymyakon is located in? Mongolia Russia - ANSWER Greenland Iceland 5.Which gland in the human body is also known as the third eye Pineal - ANSWER (Small endocrine gland in the vertebrate brain) Pituitary Mammary Tear gland 6. Leukaemia is a group of cancers that usually begins it the bone marrow and results in high numbers of which abnormal cells White blood cells - ANSWER (BLOOD CANCER) Red blood cells Platelets All of these
7.During an earthquake, two places 'A' and 'B' record its intensity in Richter scale as 4.0 and 6.0 respectively. IN absolute terms, the ratio of intensity of the earthquake at 'A' to that of 'B' is: 2:3 7:8 141:173 1:100-ANSWER 8. On a cool day in January, the temperature at a place fell below the freezing point and was recorded as -40A Centigrade. In Fahrenheit scale, the same temperature would be 32 F Explanation: The relation between Centigrade and Fahrenheit scale is as follows C 5 = F-32 9, Putting the value of C in the equation -40-s-F-32 9 -40 F ANSWER -72 Universal Gas Constant, R, is a property of? Ideal gases - ANSWER Halogen Gases Inert Gases All Gases (-8x9)+32 F -40 F Hence Answer-(3
10.In which place was the 1st Science Congress held in January, 1914 Kolkata ANSWER Allahabad Chennai Pune 11.The class of elementary particles, bosons, was named after Satyendra Nath Bose, an Indian Physicit. Which of the following Indian Scientists graduated from Presidency College Calcutta as a classmate of Satyendra Nath Bose? Jagdish Chandra Bose P.C.Mahalanobis Praful Chandra Ray Meghnad Saha - ANSWEHR 12.To which place Aryabhata, the great mathematician, went for advanced studies? Takshashila Patliputra - ANSWER Kashi Kaushambi
13.The development of the world's first practical design for an Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile, A9/10, was undertaken in Nazi Germany during the World War II. It was intended for use in bombing London and other coastal cities of Britain Northern cities of France, including Venice New York and other American cities ANSWER Interiors of USSR to cut off military supply lines to Moscow. 14. Homi Jahangir Bhabha, the father of Indian nuclear programme, was also the founding director of which of the following institutes? Tata Institute of Fundamental Research ANSWER Indian Institute of Science Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata Name Founding Director Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Homi Jahangir Bhabha Indian Institute of Science Jamshedji Tata IIT Jawaharlal Nehru Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics Meghnad Saha 15.Who headed the Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV) project launched by ISRO in 1970? Dr. Vikram Sarabhai Dr. K.Radhakrishnan Dr. A.PJ.Abdul Kalam - ANSWER Dr. G.-Madhavan Nair
16.Where was Bhaskara, also known as Bhaskaracharya or Bhaskara II, an Indian mathematician & astronomer, was born? Kanchipuramii Thanjavur Bijapur - ANSWER Viadurai 17.The BrahMos, a short range supersonic cruise missile, is a joint venture between which foreign country and Indian agency? USA & ISRO UK & ISRO Russia & ISRO Russia & DRDO ANSWER 18. If the sum of 60% of a fractional number and the number's sguare root is 5 greater than one fifth of the number, then the number is 6.25 ANSWER 0.25 12.25 2.25 Explanation: Let fractional Number be x, According to question, 0.6x + vx 0.2x + 5 By putting each option in the above equation, we find that 6.25 satisfy the above equation.
19. If 'Head' appears consecutively in the first three tosses of a fair/unbiased coin, what is the probability of 'Head' appearing in the fourth toss also? 1/8 7/8 1/16 1/2 - ANSWER Explanation: The probability of getting a head in a toss of a con is 50% always. i.e: 1 2 20. Archers A' and 'B, take aim at a target. If the probability ofA' hitting the target is 90% and of"B missing the target is 90%, what is the probability that both 'A' and 'B' miss the target? 90% 09%-ANSwER Explanation: A hitting target n(A)-90% and hence missing the target n(A)-10% 01% 81% So according to question. n(A') x n(B')-10% x 90% = 0.09 or 9% 21. If 12 persons working 12 hours a day dig 12 meters of a tunnel in 12 days, how many men are required to dig additional 04 meters of the tunnel (of the same dimension) given that they work 04 hours a day for 04 days? 27 4 12 36 - ANSWER Explanation: According to formula, M1 D1 H1/W1 M2 D2 H2 /W2 After putting the values and solving, we get M2 36
22.A man sells an article at a certain price incurring 20% loss. If he had sold the same article for Rs.20 more, he would have earne Explanation: 120x-80s 20 vas the cost price of the said article? Rs.20 Rs. 40 Rs. 50 ANSWER Rs. 60 100 100 = 0.4x 20 =x =50 23. Numerator of a fraction is increased by by 60%. The new fraction is 2.56 times the older fraction Equal to the older fraction 4 times-the older fraction ANSWER 0.36 times the older fraction Explanation: Let fraction bexy According to question: x+0.6xy 0.4y 1.6x/0.4y =4x Hence 4 times the older fraction. Answer- (3 24. In a triangle ABC, one of the angles is average of the remaining two angles. Which of the following is always true about the triangle ABC? Isosceles triangle Equilateral triangle Explanation: If one angle of a triangle is 600 then sum of remaining both angles would be 1200. Which satisfy the above given condition.
28. Log (40A2-2042) is equal to log 3 log 60 + log 20 ANSWER log 40 log 20 log 20 29.Twelve persons meet in a conference and each shakes hands with all the others. How many handshakes take place? Explanation: Log (402-202) = Log (1600-400)-Log (1200)-Log (60 x 20)-Log 60 + Log 20 66 - ANSWER 72 144 132 Explanation: According to formula n*(a-1)2. We get 66 handshakes. 30. A man travels uphill to city C from city B in a car at the speed of 40 Km/hr, and returns to city B at a faster speed of 60 Km/hr. What is his average speed for the round trip? 0 48 Km/hr - ANSWER 50 Km/hr Data insufficient
40.Which famous leader once said, "we would not have made economic progress, if we had not intervened on very personal matters: how you live, the noise you make, how you spit...'" Adolf Hitler, Germany Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam Mussolini, Italy Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore ANSWER 41. Who brought the printing Press for the first time to India in the mid-16th century? Dutch cloth merchants British traders Portuguese Missionaries - ANSWER Arab manuscript writers 42. Measures in India to impose censorship on printed material were initiated in 1798 by the East India Company. It was directed against Bengali social reformers Englishmen in India - ANSWER Bengali writers Indian Princely States
46.Which among the below mentioned Upper Palaeolithic places in India is wrongly matched with the state it is located in? Bhimbetka, Madhya Pradesh Betamcherla, Andhra Pradesh Inamgaon, Maharashtra Singh Bhumi, Himachal Pradesh ANSWER 4Z. Kalidasa's 'Kumarasambhavam' describes the story of the birth of which mythological character? Sanatkumar Explanation: All the options are rightly matched except (4). Singh Bhumi is in Bihar. Kartikeya ANSWER Pradyumna Abhimanyu 48.Where and when was the 2nd Buddhist Council held? Patliputra in 250 BC Sri Lanka in the lst century BC Vaishali in 383 BC - ANSWER Mandalay in 1871 AD
49. In which among the following cases, the Supreme Court of India propounded the theory of basic structure of the Constitution? Gopalan vs. State of Madras Golak Nath Keshvanand Bharati ANSWER Minerva Mills 50. The 52nd amendment to the Constitution of India is most closely related to Extention of Reservation in Government jobs Provision for special status to Tripura Provisions for increasing age of eligiblity for voting Provisions against political defections - ANSWER 51.Which among the following political party of India has an election symbol very similar to the election symbol of Republican Party of USA? Samajwadi Party Bahujan Samaj Party - ANSWER Janta Dal (United) Telugu Desam Party Political Party Samajwadi Party BahujanSamaj Party symbol Cycle Elephant Janta Dal Lanterm Republican Party of USA has election Symbol comprises of a Donkey and an Elephant, hence it closely resembles to Bahujan Samaj Party's election symbol. So, the Ansver-(2) Telugu Desam Party Bieycle
52. How many members, the President of India can nominate to Lok Sabha & Rajya Sabha, respectively? 12,2 2,12 - ANSWER 2,10 10,2 53.Which among the following amendments to the Constitution of India, designated Delhi as National Capital Territory (NCT)? 63rd Amendment Act 69th Amendment Act ANSWER 74th Amendment Act 76th Amendment Act 54. On 29 August 1947, the Drafting Committee for Indian Constitution was appointed, with Dr B. R. Ambedkar as the Chairman along with six other members. Who among the following was not the member of the Drafting Committee? N. Gopalaswami Ayengar Jawahar Lal Nehru - ANSWER Kanaivalal Maneklal Munshi Alladi Krishnaswamy lyer Explanation: Members of Drafting committee were B.R Ambedkar (Chairman). Kanaiyalal Menaklal Munshi. Alladi Krishnaswamy Iyer, N. Gopalaswami Ayengar, Pandit Gobind Ballabh Pant, B. L Mitter, and D P Khaitan. Clearly, Jawahar Lal Nehru was not the part of the drafting committee
67.Which of the following awards Satyajit Ray received posthumously? Award Year Dada Saheb Phalke Award Ramon Magsaysay Award Bharat Ratna ANSWER Honorary Oscar Dada Saheb Phalke Award 1985 Ramon Magsaysay Award 1967 Bharat Ratna 1992 Honorary Oscar 1992 68. In which individual event, the lst Olympic medal for Independent India was won at Helsinki olympics? Archery Boxing Wrestling - ANSWER Weightlifting 69. The Gini Coefficient is a measure of Rodent populationn Migration rate of Guineas nationals Income inequality - ANSWER Ratio of coinage to currency note